267:participate

"You can try, sir," she replied with a haughty raise of her brow playing along with the jokes. It must be her imagination but there was a soft breathy exhale from her soulmate and the colours in his eyes flickered to life dancing with her words. "We'll see who'll be the one getting spanked."

There was a gasp from someone and she wasn't sure who made that sound. But her focus was already consumed by the clatter of the door as a waiter entered and served the first course with a haughty air.

It was foie gras sauteed and drenched in a sauce of white peach and grapes, a meal sweeter than it should be with the rich liver. Then a bed of raspberries, encased in a transparent ball served with heavy goat cheese and beet. And then sea urchin served wet, orange and shimmery with foam that she discovered tasted like squid and apples.

"They try to change expectations", Casper explained as they ate, their conversation had long switched towards food just as Oliver predicted. "From hot to cold and hard to soft. They want you guessing sometimes."

But each was a dish that felt too little for the wait, and they spent the time sipping on different alcohols that Casper ordered from a sommelier in pairing with their meal. The drink made her skin warm and it loosened the fear that tightened in her throat. It numbed some part of her sensitive soul, untangling the knots in her chest.

The conversation steered from stories, stupid ones. Something about her running into a bush and another about Oliver walking straight into a river. Some talk about grocery discounts and deals, things about goals and achievements. Then it veered.

"My family owns this place," Casper said at their fifth or sixth course, pigeon and God knows what. A mushy fruit puree and a savoury sauce that dripped of beef. He spoke with a soft rumble, casual and a little weird. "And a couple more around the world." He drank his alcohol, dropping it on the table. "I think you know that I come from a family richer than most."

"Casper's born from old, old money, probably has a princess or two in his bloodline," Oliver said, stabbing his pigeon straight in the heart. "Maybe even mafia." He grinned at her, waggling his brows and it made her laugh.

"A Korean monarch, and a Russian princess," Casper admitted with a smirk, taking her plate to cut her pigeon into clean bite-sized pieces for her. He'd removed the bones, soaked each piece in a good amount of sauce, divided everything into perfection. Always, always the loving gentleman. "Yakuza perhaps."

"And a thousand millionaires, and a hundred billionaires. Plenty of old fucking money," Oliver grouched. "Nothing like mine."

"Rich yes," Casper admitted toying with his own meal. "I am from a wealthy background. But they considered disowning me when I became a singer and didn't have a soulmate."

"But bro didn't give a flying fuck."

"Yes," Casper nodded with a shrug. "Dreams over blood. But I am still the only son of my parents, so my Mother begged the head to let me stay. They all truly believed that I would outgrow my obsession, thought I had a chance of taking over the company or something. I was good at what they needed me to do as well."

"Didn't expect the success, huh?" Amber grinned and Casper shook his head.

"Never, they wanted me in the office with a secretary after I failed. They also wanted me to have two children by this age and my face printed all over Forbes 30 under 30." He shrugged, placing her plate before her. "They didn't expect me to be printed all over Forbes for another reason entirely."

"So..." Her brows furrowed, her mind zeroing in on the things traditional Asian parents always seemed to want. "They want you to have children now?"

"Of course not." He shook his head, then exhaled. "Fuck that. Yeah, they want to see kids regardless of blood, just as long as their souls are linked to mine." And her traitorous mind whispered words into ears that didn't want to listen. He doesn't care if they're his kids or not...He doesn't want it to be his kids? "But I would never push you to listen to the demands of my family, and you shouldn't have to listen to them. But because they now know of your existence, they want to meet you."