1. Cold Life

"I promise I'll take you out soon, alright?" Seren vowed, keeping her phone against her ear

"I promise I'll take you out soon, alright?" Seren vowed, keeping her phone against her ear. "I have to clock in soon, so I have to let you go."

Her low voice was stilted with poignance, scratching hangnails on her thumb anxiously, hating herself for having to end the phone call.

He remained silent.

Seren's heart elicited an immense stabbing sensation when it pumped, remorse tightly squeezing her chest.

"Jimin, I know I always say that. But, I really-"

"No, mom just got home." Jimin muttered to her. "I have to go now, or she'll get upset."

"Jimin, don't worry about her-"

He clicked, leaving her with three beeps to conclude their conversation.

She stared blankly at her phone's lock screen, lips parted in baleful vexation.

"Fuck." her voice contorted menacingly as she dropped her phone in her car's cupholder.

She removed the keys from the ignition, throwing them into her purse along with her phone.

"Always ruins everything." She effused, slamming her car door shut.

A few heads in the parking lot snapped, their judgemental eyes glowing beneath the street lamps. She turned to them with an unbothered scowl, instantly making them look away. She quietly scoffed, aware that they probably found her crazy, and she agreed with them.

Seren locked her car, pacing to the front of the bar lounge.

One of the worst parts that came with being a waitress was having to stilt a pretend smile, grinning through all the awful things customers would pelt her with. Whether that was with their defeaning words or items.

Especially with men and women that wanted to start bar fights when they became intoxicated, not at all capable of handling their liquor.

That wasn't the only sham that came with being a waitress, Seren could think of millions of reasons why her job was awful. She couldn't complain, she needed money to pay the bills, and looking for a new job was time-consuming, and grueling.

Seren avoided all the customer's faces, as well as most of her co-workers, battling her way through the sea of people to reach the employee room. She pushed through the door, punching in the combination to her locker.

She put her bag away, grabbing the black waist apron and tying it over herself.

The door squeaked open, unveiling a friendly and acquainted voice.

"Ah, finally you're here." Rina sighed with relief, stepping to her friend's locker.

"Against my will, but I'm here." Seren muttered, grinning at her.