54. Final Statement

"Everything will be okay, just breathe

"Everything will be okay, just breathe." He murmured in her ear, his soft breath kissing her cheek, granting her body chills that prowled her trembling figure.

She nodded, trying to listen to Myo Eun speaking to the jury and judge. Seren had to walk up to the stand once she called to her as a victim to give the courtroom information about what occurred that night and questions about their relationship and how far things went between them.

How much she knew about Hoseok's second life, and if she knew anything at all about it.

Although she was there to serve justice, fear was still permeating through her body, frightened that she would say the wrong words. Frightened that she would have to sit up there and face every single countenance in that crowded courtroom, what a coincidence that newscasts were waiting outside the room the exact day she had to testify.

Nothing beat the brimming fear of having to face Hoseok up at the stand. She would actually have to look him in his eyes this time, she couldn't avoid him like before. He would be aware of her presence this time as well, and his reaction was something she dreaded.

"And so, today, I call Park Seren to the stand." Eun announced, her eyes darting over to Seren, who sat at the very front of the room between her loved ones. "She will be giving her statement for us today." She nodded once to Seren, signaling her to walk to the front entrance so that the bailiff would let her in.

She felt Jimin give her hand one last squeeze before she got off the bench, feeling all the eyes of onlookers pierce her back, murmurs, and whispers of surprise from Seren's spontaneous appearance.

The bailiff opened the small gate for her, allowing her to walk up to the stand where she would be taking her oath before her statement.

Her heart was in her throat, willing to take a leap right out of her mouth if she opened it to speak. She could feel all eyes on her as she walked up to the stand to take a seat, but those attentive eyes couldn't amount to the way Hoseok's eyes felt.

They burned right through her delicate skin, seeing right through her facade of bravery.

He could read her so easily. That never changed.

Seren glanced over at Yoongi, who gave her an optimistic smile that imperceptibly pulled the side of his lips.

She glanced over at Jimin and Namjoon, filled with gratitude that she had the three people in her life that mattered most to her.

Although Jin and Rina couldn't be there, they were bombarding her phone with supportive messages, it almost surprised her that they remembered her court date.

"Seren, why don't you tell us about your relationship with Jung Hoseok, firstly." Though it was supposed to be a request, it seemed more like a demand rolling off Eun's tongue, glancing down at the files on her desk.