21. Late Invite

Seren collapsed above the sofa, exhausted from yet another prologued night at work

Seren collapsed above the sofa, exhausted from yet another prologued night at work. The thought of having to deal with another shift the next day was mentally and physically draining to her. One day off every week wasn't sufficient, she believed she needed just one more day off to be well prepared for her night shift.

This night in particular, however, she was able to get out earlier than she expected. Normally, she would arrive home at two in the morning, but this time she was able to get there before eleven.

Her shift began at four-thirty that day, which surprised her to see that Miyong was capable of giving her early hours. It wasn't often when he gave her such reasonable hours.

She bet that someone had called off, which inclined him to change up her schedule.

Seren wouldn't get used to it. She still needed her early hours for classes, and to have some time for herself and her younger brother. She could imagine the advantage of what having better hours would look like when it came to her social life, but the bar was especially swarming at night.

Seren skimmed through a few channels wanting to find her favorite show that was usually aired at a late hour.

She picked up her spoon, eating more of the cereal in her bowl before it softened up with the oat milk.

All the lights were shut off except the one above the sink. Its yellow tint illuminated just a portion of her kitchen, while the television was used as a large night light for the bleak living room.

She sighed, mindlessly clicking the button on the remote to find it by number rather than use the guide option.

"What was it again?" She mumbled to herself, setting her bowl down on the coffee table. "Oh, was it channel sixty?" Seren guessed, finding the numbers six and zero.

She looked up at the screen, watching it go blank for a split second before it changed to the channel she entered.

She watched as a woman hovered over a green screen showing the week's weather and forecast.

Seren lamented, ruffling her soft black hair. "Nope. Just the news."

A chime from her phone grabbed her attention, dropping the remote beside her to replace it with her phone.

The edge of her lips pulled into a beatific grin when she saw Hoseok's name unexpectedly appear over her lock screen. On another ordinary weekday, he was already in bed by eleven, sleeping fairly early to prepare for work he had the next day.

Blithely, she opened his text.

Hoseok

I hope you had a nice shift at work.

I'm gonna head to bed now, and I really

am looking forward to this weekend.

Hoseok