38. Raincheck

Seren sat in the break room with a cup of ice water in her hand, staring at the screen of her phone, mindlessly scrolling through social media

She was taking her fifteen-minute break, still having about three more hours to go until she could clock out.

It felt strange not having Rina or Seokjin there with her to chat when she was on her break. She would usually join the two of them whenever things were slow at the lounge, talking to pass the time, on the lookout to make sure Miyong wasn't watching them to reprimand them.

A slow smile trudged on her lips, her cavalier expression finally feeling genuine pleasure for the day.

"Hey, Seren." A deep male voice called from behind her, "I didn't know you were on break." He sped over to the fridge, opening an iced tea that was open to the employees.

Seren turned to that unfamiliar voice, her taut eyes relaxing with reassurance when she realized it was just Ren, her co-worker.

He was polite, though she hadn't known him for more than four days, he was quite helpful with anything she needed.

His hair was an authentic obsidian black, nearly blending in with the black long-sleeve he had on that day. He wore black spike horseshoe piercings on his earlobes, a few cartilage piercings following on his ear.

She smiled, putting her phone down. "Yeah, I went on break about six minutes ago." Seren informed.

Ren hummed, taking a sip of his drink. "How has work been for you so far?" He asked, twisting the cap on.

Seren couldn't complain. Anything was better than where she was formally working.

"Honestly, it's great." She said. "Better than where I was working before." Seren waved her curtain bangs off her cheek, placing strands behind her ear.

Interest peaked in Rens' features. "Oh, where did you work before?" He questioned, reaching for the chair in front of her. "I mean, not trying to pry or anything."

She chuckled, completely understanding his interest, she guessed she'd also be interred in hearing where her co-workers formally worked as well.

"Um, it was at a bar lounge, not too far from here, actually." Seren stated, envisioning the distance in her head. "I worked late hours, went in around six and got out like at two in the morning."

He gritted his teeth, holding his iced tea with a firm grip. "You were surrounded by drunks until two in the morning? That sounds like hell." Ren sympathized, shaking his head.

"Yeah, it was hell." She agreed. "But, I think the worst part was probably having to walk alone in my house at that time, it always gave me the creeps."

"Man, I would be terrified." He leaned back in his chair, chewing his lower lip. "You're pretty brave for that. No– you're real brave for that. How long did you say you worked there?"