18. Comfort

Seren watched him at a safe distance, keeping her antsy hands above her bouncing lap

Seren watched him at a safe distance, keeping her antsy hands above her bouncing lap. He cut up another fresh half of cucumber, garnishing the plate like how Seren was supposed to do. She then realized that he made black bean noodles for the two of them, the scent tying together when she saw him pour the paste over them.

"You made jajangmyeon?" She speculated correctly as he brought the two plates over to the table.

He set hers down. "Yup. Is that an okay choice?" Hoseok cautiously questioned, glancing mindfully at his date.

"Oh, it's great! I love jajangmyeon." Seren insisted, preparing her utensils. "My family and I used to always eat it. Well, my brother and I, actually. We used to always make it for ourselves." She corrected in a murmur, her cheeks crimsoning.

"Ah, then I hope I did a good job with the recipe." He expressed with a gentle grin, drying his wet hands with paper towels. "I have an expert trying my food."

She waited for him to sit, chuckling at his comment. "I'm sure you did great, everything looks good, and the smell is amazing." She praised him earnestly.

He sat across from her, making sure she took her first bite before he began eating.

"Is it good?" Speculation washed his tone, waiting for her opinion.

"It is really good." She answered, licking paste off the side of her lip.

He lowered his head as weight lifted off his shoulders, his cheeks engorged. "I'm glad." He simply said, returning to the food on his plate.

It was silent for a moment, and Seren guessed it had to do with their love for food, wanting time to eat and save their discussions for later.

Regardless, it wasn't an uncomfortable silence that fell upon them.

"I didn't know you had a brother?" Hoseok suddenly asked, making Seren snap out of her thoughts.

"Huh?" She looked up at him, her head tilting. "Really? I haven't mentioned him?"

He shook his head, sipping his sprite.

"I just have one sibling." Seren explained further, setting her chopsticks down. "His names' Jimin, he's eighteen. He's still pretty young, though he's much taller than me." She muttered, sparking a giggle out of Hoseok.

"It was always just the four of us. Including my parents." She removed her eyes from his, never quite enjoying a conversation where her parents had to be included. "What about you?" She cleared her throat, stirring a question for Hoseok.

"Oh, I just have one sibling. A sister." He informed, setting his drink down. "Though, I don't always see my family." Hoseok told honestly, shrugging his shoulders.

Her tongue poked the inside of her piercing. "I only ever make time to see Jimin. I really don't make time for my parents. I mean, I only do it so I can keep hanging out with Jimin."