48. The Truth

He sat at the corner of his bed with his head down, his dark brown hair falling to the sides of his face, sticking to his sweaty temples

He sat at the corner of his bed with his head down, his dark brown hair falling to the sides of his face, sticking to his sweaty temples. His fingers shoveled through his cluster of damp hair, his eyes tightly shut as heavy breaths escaped his wet lips.

Seren stood by the doorway in confusion, dazed by bewilderment as she watched Hoseok struggle to combat his thoughts and emotions. Or so it seemed he was, shaking his head, and muttering no to himself.

His voice was hushed but thundered with great barbarity and aggression, mewls clawing out his throat as he began intensely shaking his head in no, rocking his body back and forth.

Seren stood baffled, words vanished from her brain as he furiously quarreled with himself.

He began hitting his head, shouting louder. "Stop! Just get out of my head already!"

That's when she decided to put a stop to his destruction, quickly approaching him with shaking hands ready to hold him. Regardless if he was facing something that was ripping him apart, she couldn't handle seeing him act in such a way. Hitting himself with such force, it frightened her.

"Hoseok. Hoseok, please stop." She tried to sound assertive, though her voice came out a mere whisper that trembled unevenly, trying to grab his hands.

She had no strength, unable to pry his hands away from his face.

"I can't do it anymore." He muffled into his hands, shaking his head.

She swallowed her nonexistent saliva, her heart dropping to the pit of her gut.

"I can't do it. I'm not like you." He continued.

"Not like who, Hoseok?" Seren asked gently, still trying to weakly move his hands from his face.

"I can't keep doing those things. I want to be normal. I want you to leave me alone." He continued to speak, which only exacerbated her confusion. Why couldn't he respond to her? It seemed as though her pleading voice went unnoticed by him, completely shunning her warm presence as she stood with open arms in his cold dark bedroom.

Her body froze with fear when another voice entered the bedroom.

"We're a team. I can't do these things without you." The voice beseeched. "I know you secretly enjoy our hobby. It excites you. I know it does."

"No, it doesn't!" He shouted back, his voice but a mere croak.

"You were always so weak. You say you don't want me here, but you need me." This ominous voice argued, not at all phased by the state he was putting Hoseok in.

"Without me, who would actually get the job done, huh?" The voice darted closer to them.

Seren quickly shifted behind her – where the voice was now coming from, backing away into the wall behind her.