42. Reassurance

She chewed her fingernails inattentively, her eyes attached to the bright screen in front of her

Although she hated watching the news and all the sorrowful information they put out into the world, she always found herself drowning in it. She did nothing to fight her way back to the surface, allowing her mind to focus on the crestfallen announcements.

Especially when new information was found about Jack, and all his recent killings coming to light. The anchorman and woman urging the viewers to triple-check their locks and to shield their windows with drapes.

Which she had been doing ever since she found out she was being stalked by some deranged man.

"Recent security footage shows us Jack actually taking a walk at night, and it seems he was looking for the next innocent bystander to terrorize." The woman indifferently informed.

That was always a shock to her.

How anchorpeople always found it in them to hide their emotions, never letting themselves crack even when they were under the most stilting pressure believable.

She didn't know how they did it.

How were they able to conceal their emotions, and not shed a tear or two for the families that lost their loved ones?

Seren would be a mess.

It then cut to the footage.

Jack was shown unhurriedly strolling down an empty and dark street that was at an angled slope, his face remained concealed, the poor lighting unable to reveal who this killer was. His posture remained undaunted, his shoulders high and mighty with his head scoping the area every other second, completely unaware of the hidden camera that was capturing his every move. The silhouette of his long skinny jester hat gave her the chills, how disturbing it looked. In his hand, it seemed he was holding a weapon, likely a knife.

His murders were all done with a knife.

And they were invariably finished off with the victim's face being carved as if they were nothing but a pumpkin being sculpted for decor on Halloween.

She would never carve another pumpkin again.

She shivered, shaking her head at the mere thought of it.

"Why do you watch this if you know it freaks you out?" Hoseok quietly wondered out loud.

She glanced up at him, watching him approach his couch. "I just turned the tv on, and it was on."

"So you didn't think to change it?" He asked, his eyebrow raising.

She shook her head, grabbing the remote and tossing it to him. "No, you can change it, though."

"Great. I hate the news." He mumbled, instantly changing the channel.

Seren sat closer to Hoseok, wrapping her arms around his torso and resting her head above his shoulder.