2. Ghost

"No way!" Jimin's lips parted, watching his sister with round, astonished eyes

"No way!" Jimin's lips parted, watching his sister with round, astonished eyes. "He tripped you? Really?"

"Yup." Seren confirmed, stirring her black bean noodles. "I was just as shocked as you are."

"Why didn't you say anything?" He questioned, finding the troubles she went through egregious.

Which, they were.

She was aware that putting up with the arbitrary situations from working there was completely ridiculous.

"Well, I didn't exactly catch that myself." Seren swabbed paste off the side of her lip. "Someone told me after they had left. I just didn't wanna make a big deal about it, I had to worry about cleaning up the mess."

Jimin lowered his head, shutting his eyes. "I hate that you work there, you know. I already knew it was going to be a dangerous job, but with everything you tell me — it just seems worse."

She frowned, sympathetic with her brother.

"Jimin, I don't tell you these things to make you feel bad. I just thought it would be funny, I guess?" She explained, trying to catch his fallen gaze.

She sighed, looking elsewhere in the small eatery.

"It's not your fault you have to work there," he finally looked up. "It's Mom. She just made everything so hard for you, she practically drove you away."

Her mother did make it difficult for her, and she was the reason Seren had left to live with their Aunt, Jiyu. Regardless, Seren decided to move out on her own.

"Yes, but I did make the choice to move out on my own." Seren reminded him, voice holding sincerity.

"What mother doesn't stop their child from that, though?" Jimin shook his head in disbelief. "You were only nineteen, you were still very young."

"Maybe it just would have been easier for them to afford everything if I really did move out." Seren guessed, her nails tapping against her cup of water. "They take care of you, right?"

"Yeah." He said tersely, getting back to the food on his plate.

She knew that it bothered him to see her struggle so much. Seren didn't always work at a night lounge, that decision was almost recent.

When Jiyu was still alive, she covered the bills while Seren went to school. It was like that for a full three years, until she passed.

The house was owned by Jiyu, so rent wasn't due, but bills were still going to be something that Seren had to take care of.

That, and buying food to fill the fridge, and essentials she needed.

Although the place she works at can be a nightmare at times and is probably the reason she's already found gray hairs on her head, it still pays the bills.