11. Waiting

Seren waited

Seren waited.

Her patience running thin, sequestered in her bedroom with no will or courage left in her spineless trembling body to get up and search her home. Fearful that the man snuck in, and was hiding somewhere in the swallowing darkness her home provided.

She watched a few crime shows and mystery documentaries. Watching them gave her an idea of what she would do in such a frightening situation, however, once she was confronted with it, she became paralyzed. Unable to move, skittish to even make a sound, sensing that his eyes were still on her, watching her every move.

His eyes were kept concealed under the covert shadows, but she still felt his stare perforate through her. It tattered against her body, searing her skin, and leaving its mark.

Police took their time seeing to the distress call, a good thirteen minutes passed until she heard the sirens wailing, not moving an inch from her bedroom until she heard them knocking on her door.

It enraged her beyond words. It was as if they had taken their sweet time getting there. If the man really did break into her home, the police would have arrived to a lifeless body, nothing but her woeful spirit lingering around to accompany them.

She got the chills simply thinking about what she would have to endure if he broke into her home. She would have to fight, kick, and scream if she wanted to make it out alive.

"And you said he was just leaning against your car, smoking a cigarette?" The officer repeated, jotting something down in his notebook.

Her arms were crossed over her chest. "Yes." Her eyes were restless, searching all areas of her front yard, paranoid that he was hiding.

"Alright." He muttered. "Jeong, find anything?" He turned over, questioning his partner.

He waved his flight light around her small backyard. "Mmm, nope. Seems like he really left."

He turned back around to Seren. "What were you doing getting back home at such a late hour?"

Seren's nose crinkled, baffled as to why he was asking that. "I had just got home from work."

Nonetheless, she answered, guessing he was just curious and wanted to understand her report.

"Night shift?" He continued to question, still writing.

"Yup." Seren murmured, watching his partner inspect behind and under her car.

"Do you think this person could have followed you from your job?" The officer proceeded to ask, looking up at her.

Seren didn't know how to answer that.

A creep from the lounge following her seemed unlikely, she was surrounded by a group of men all night. Anyone would have to be crazy to follow her home.

"I-I don't know. Maybe?" Her voice swayed with uncertainty.

'Unless they just wanted to check that I'm home alone.' She swallowed hard, her throat aching from desiccation. 'Then, he must have seen that I am completely defenseless. It's just me, here.'