53. His Confession

Her jaw tensed as her teeth grounded, her fingers drumming against her lap

Her jaw tensed as her teeth grounded, her fingers drumming against her lap. She kept her eyes focused on the changing scenery outside the window, her heartbeat increasing as they drew closer to the awaiting, and dreaded destination that they were already thirty minutes late to.

Her nails found their way to her mouth, chewing them as her mind dashed with millions of thoughts splurging through her head.

Jimin grabbed her hand, placing it back into her lap. "Stop worrying." He whispered, gently patting her knee.

"I can't. I don't even think I'm ready for this." She muttered, almost inaudible that she was certain Jimin didn't hear her.

But, he did.

"Some time has passed, I think you're ready for more than you think you can handle." Jimin responded, staring out his side of the window.

She turned over to him, her teeth clasped against the inside of her bottom lip. "It's been two weeks since everything happened. I feel like it's too soon."

"Why are they making me show up? It's not like it's my turn to even testify yet. I'm just showing up just to be there, it's annoying." Seren went on to rant at a greater volume, annoyance burning the sides of her throat as she spoke.

"They've cooperated with you. You were supposed to show up for all days and testify for most of the topics." Jimin stated prudently, his knee bouncing up and down as they pulled into the parking lot. "You said you'd be in the crowd for most days, and only show your face when it was your turn to testify. They agreed."

Her eyes began to ache, wanting to roll them so badly at Jimin's annoyingly diplomatic words. She couldn't. He was right. The court and judge sympathized with her, they allowed her to show up in the crowd, hidden from the cameras and Hoseok. The only time she would show her face was when it was her turn to testify.

She just couldn't bare the thought of being in the same room as Hoseok. Being under his scrutiny, having to look him in the eyes as she told her story of what abhorrent things he put her through.

Seren placed her fingers above the scarring gash on the side of her skull, gently skimming her fingertips above the healed area.

"Does your head hurt?" Jimin questioned, concern coursing through his tone.

"No. Just sometimes I get overwhelmed and can feel some odd pulse there." She muttered, running her fingers through her hair.

"That's fine, doctor said it was normal, you still need time to heal... physically." Jimin reminded, removing his seatbelt as the Uber stopped right in front of the courthouse.

Seren mirrored his actions, thanking the driver for the rather lengthy drive.

She opened her door, shutting it while keeping her eyes on the courthouse in front of her. She expected there to be journalists at the front waiting for their chance to talk to Hoseok and ask him questions, or at least a newscast there to get their shot at a new interesting lead on what was going on in the courtroom. But, there was hardly anyone.