23. Protection

"Yeah

"Yeah... I know that."

"Well, I'm already here, and I've been here."

"I mentioned it to Dad, you just weren't awake."

Jimin's distant conversation echoed through Seren's bedroom, her tired eyes impotent when it came to opening her heavy lids, unable to detach herself from her sleep.

"Because I wanted to come, why is it such a big deal?" His voice kept at a low volume, however, his frustration was undeniably growing.

Seren slowly opened her eyes, meeting with her sealed closet doors, no Jimin in sight.

She took in a refreshing inhale, rubbing her eyes to free herself from the exhaustion, exhaling as she searched around the empty room — still no Jimin.

She picked herself up from the swallowing mattress beneath her, her eyebrows pushed together in puzzlement.

"Don't blame her. I just told you it was my decision to come." Jimin answered, fighting to keep his voice at a moderate level.

Her eyes shot to the shut bedroom door, and she guessed that he must have stepped out into the hallway to answer Hana's call.

Seren patted the bed for her phone, turning it on to see that it was only six forty-one in the morning.

She rolled her eyes, ire coursing her veins, aggravated that their mom had the nerve to call Jimin at such an early hour, pretending to be worried for his safety. In reality, she was only interested in where he was to be the controlling person that she was.

Seren brushed her fingers through her hair, realizing that it really was a mistake to call Jimin over her home.

It was a selfish decision.

She should have just dealt with it herself, just like every other time.

"Okay. Fine, I'll be home later." He accepted, wanting the call to end already.

Seren heard him sigh, then the door opened.

She raised her eyebrows in suspicion, staring at her younger brother. "I'm guessing mom called?"

He left the door open, stepping over to the spot he was sleeping in. "Yup. She was upset that I didn't tell her I was coming over here. But, I did tell dad." A sigh left his lips as he sat down.

Seren's lips went thin. "Well, you already know how she is. Why didn't you just tell her that I called you over here? Save you the lecture."

He was silent for a moment, his front teeth chewing his bottom lip. "Because you always get blamed. Regardless, I wanted to come. If I didn't, I would have ignored your call."

Seren chortled, carefully tossing the throw blanket off her. "You wouldn't have ignored my call. But, I'll probably get a call from her later."

"Where're you going?" Jimin asked, watching his sister leave the room.