04| Introductions

Chapter 4: Introductions

"Peter sweetie, how many times do I have to tell you?" Mrs. April sighed frustratedly. "You don't rub the charcoal eraser onto the charcoal sketch. You have to tap it, lightly. Now look at what you've done. The whole thing is smudged." she pointed at Peter's sketch infront of her.

"God, I'm so used to the classic pencil eraser that my hand does this automatically. Sorry." the boy frowned deeply. He looks so disappointed in himself.

This was such a common mistake. I'd done it countless times.

"Hey man, cheer up. It can be fixed easily, don't worry." Sam reassured him with a smile.

"Yeah Sam's right. Just tap it lightly over there and it'll get better." I added, gesturing him with my index finger the area that he should do it on.

Although Peter seemed to be still upset with himself, he managed to give us a little smile while nodding at what I suggested.

"Yeah mate, listen to the strawberry shortcake over there. She seems to know her way around charcoal." said the, I-forgot-he-was-here-again, model of Sam's.

Okay...

Two things.

First of all, I didn't know whether  my pencil case, my water bottle or my necklace gave away my...healthy obsession with strawberries, but the rage I felt when he used my favorite dessert as a petty nickname to mock me with flooded my senses.

Secondly. How did he know, I know "the way" around charcoal?

Apparently, I must have said my last thoughts out loud, because I heard a voice saying "Because, shortcake, you are basically covered with charcoal dust and I've never seen so many different charcoal pencils on someone's desk before." he looked at me with raised eyebrows, pointing at my messy desk and prooving his point. "So this tells me that you probably know how to handle this thing."

"For the love of potatoes, Flynn, stay still, will you?" Sam ordered angrily.

"Flynn?" Mia asked puzzled.

"Yeah, his full name is Christopher Flynn Turner, but we normally call him Chris." Peter answered nonchalantly, shrugging his shoulders.

Well, that was an information that I found unexpectedly...useless.

As Mia was about to say something, I bet, cheesy about his names, she was cut off by the bell ringing and Mrs. April saying that class was dismissed.

With that, we started packing our things and as I was putting my water bottle in my bag, I felt a hand laying on my shoulder and saw a finger pointing at my canvas.

"Well, aren't you a talented one?" a familiarly annoying voice with a strong Australian accent said from behind me. "Why did you sketch grapes though? Didn't you paint fruit again, like, a couple days back?" the jock questioned.

Why did he care? Why wasn't he asking Mia the same thing? She obviously looked more intrested in him that I'd ever be.

"I don't know whether I should take your apparent investment in my work as a compliment or as an act of a soon-to-be stalker," I said, turning my head to look at him, slapping his hand off my shoulder. "Nonetheless, if you must know, this is a different synthesis. The previous one was about fruit whilst this one is about wine. Now," I slightly patted on his shoulder, "you seem like a moderately brain-active human being, so you should get the correlation. Grapes. Wine. It should ring a bell." I grabbed my bag, stepping outside the door along with Mia, leaving him sanding there speechless.