23| Feeling Guilty

Chapter 23: Feeling Guilty

I'm not a bad person. I didn't do anything wrong, I just told him to leave, right? It's not a big deal.

Even if he looked at me like a child that was told that Santa Claus does not exist.
Or that he was not having dessert after dinner.
Or that his favorite toy is out of stock.

Yeah, I'm not a bad person.

I nodded my head, making myself believe that I am a saint and never in my life had I done anything wrong that I should feel guitly of. I am not one to fall for these puppy doe eyes, that were looking at me with sparks of hope and all. I prefer cats anyway.

I turned on my heels and gripped the doorknob of my bedroom door again, slowly taking a step in.

His eyes were really sparkly...

And desperate.

I was his only option.

Ugh, my subconscious is not letting me breathe.

A frustrated groan escaped my lips as a took a step inside my room and I rolled my eyes defeatedly. I let loose of the handle and turned the opposite direction, inaudibly tiptoe-ing to the corridor, as if I was an undercover spy.

I followed the tracks the downhearted boy walked onto some moments ago and I sucked in my breath, making sure that no one would find me guilty of  espionage against the dialogue my mom had with him. I made sure to safely hide my figure behind the wall, but also be able to eavesdrop at ease.

The things I do in my own house...

"Goodbye miss Claire, it was really nice meeting you." his voice cheerful, but I could feel that he was forcing his smile.

"Won't you stay for dinner?" I can imagine her shock. My mom never allows someone to leave her house, unless they've had something to eat.

"No, I won't, but thank yo-"

"Nonsense! No one steps a foot outside my house with an empty stomach." she stated firmly. My mom would literally force you to eat, even if you were full and can't take a bite more. "Besides, I want to get to know you more."

Here we go again...

"I doubt your daughter would like that, ma'am. So, I'll take my leave and I hope you enjoy your chocolates. Have a good night." he declined politely, his voice dropping slightly in dissapointment.

Okay, I may or may not have felt guilty about him being so...sad?
It was as if he had failed to accomplish something that he wanted so much. Maybe he indeed failed, but I happen to be the cause of this... So, yeah okay, you can say that I feel a tiny bit guilty. Just a tiny bit.

The next thing I heard coming from the kitchen, was heavy footsteps, slowly fading in the distance, until the front door opened and closed with a soft bang.

I closed my eyes and let the breath I was holding all along escape my lips. I stood there for a split second, before the sound of my mom's menacing voice echoed through the whole house.

"Olivia Beatrice Elsher!" she shouted, with a tone that screamed 'it's time you died'.
My hands started to sweat from fear and I could feel my face going pale. Whenever she calls me by my full name, means that she's up to no good.

What do I do now?

Should I run? I am a terrible runner.

Should I just let her calling my name. Nope, things will get worse.

Do I play it sick, in hopes that she will let me off the hook for whatever reason she was yelling at me?

Ugh... Seems like there's no other way...