Speak Now

*this chapter is inspired by the song Speak Now by Taylor Swift*

Today was wedding day. Not yours, but your best friends.

As much as you love your best friend, you've been dreading this day.

The thing is, you're not even invited. But you have to do this for yourself & go.

You've been friends with Austin for a decade. Met in high school, we're in the drama club together. Shared the stage plenty of times.

The last ten years, you've secretly been in love with him. You've never made your move because he's always had a girlfriend of some sort. Which, you thought was weird, as you've always felt like he really liked you as well, just never acted on it, and went with some other girl instead.

This particular girlfriend, well fiancée you should say, is your absolute least favorite. She's never been kind to you, always has a bitchy tone, very arrogant. You've never understood what Austin sees in her. It's because of her, that you're not even invited.

And you just find it crazy that even though she puts him through legit hell, he's still going to marry her. Does she have something against him that if he doesn't marry her, she'll do something? That thought always ran through your mind.

You got ready in a nice pink skater dress with white heels.

As you take one last look in the mirror, you sigh. You truly don't want to go, but you know you have to be there for Austin. You need to stop this wedding from happening. Stop him from making the biggest mistake of his life.

Normally you're not the type of person to rudely barge in on a white veil occasion. But Austin isn't the type of guy who should be marrying the wrong girl.

When you get to the church, you sneak in & see her friends, and her snotty little family, all dressed in pastel. And she's yelling at a bridesmaid, somewhere in a room while looking like a pastry. Her skirt is so full, making her look like one of those cakes you see with a Barbie doll, and cake is the dress.

You know isn't what Austin would have thought this day to be. From what you've seen it's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Losing yourself in a daydream, where you stand & say to Austin, "Don't say 'yes', run away now, I'll meet you out of the church of the back door. Don't wait or say a single vow."

The organ sounding, getting you out of your thoughts. Fond gestures are exchanged as the organ plays something that sounds like a death march. Fitting for bridezilla.

You hide in the curtain, since you have been uninvited by his lovely bride to be.

She walks down the aisle looking like a pageant queen. You just know he wishes it was you & not her. You just feel it in your soul.

Once the bride is at the altar, you sneakily keep an eye on everything. You listen to the words from the preacher.

"Before we get to the vows, if anyone has any objections, please speak now or forever hold your peace." the preacher says.

There's a silence, there's your last chance.

You come out of hiding, standing there with shaking hands, all eyes on you.

Horrified looks from everyone in the room, but you're only looking at him.

"Um, I know Im the last person you expected to be here, and Im not usually the type of girl to do this kinda thing but, you're also not the kind of guy who should be marrying the wrong person."

"Y/n? What do you mean?" Austin asks you.

"I know, you know, that you don't want to do this. Look, Austin, I -

You hesitate watching what you say, but decide to come out with it.

"I love you, okay? I have for the last ten years, and I know deep down you love me too. Please don't do this, Austin. I know you don't want this."

He just stood there, in silence. All eyes going back & forth from you, to him, to the bride.

"Don't say 'yes' and just run away now before it's too late. I'll meet you outside of the church by the back door if you change your mind."  and with that, you made your exit.

Before you make it out the door,

"Natalie, I'm sorry. I can't do this. She's right." Austin tells the bride. "Y/n! Wait!" he calls out to you.

You turn around to look at him.

"I'll meet you when I change out of my tux at the backdoor." he says to you.

You smile & make your way to the back door.

About 10-15 minutes later,

"Well, I didn't say my vows, thanks to you." Austin walks up to me. "I'm so glad you were around when they said speak now. You're right. I didn't want that. I don't know what I was doing or thinking. I love you, y/n. I always have. Thank you for stopping me."

You smile, "Anytime. I love you too, Austin."

You both lean in for a kiss. Your first kiss that actually meant something, as every other were for the stage. Nothing felt more right than in this moment.

———————————————————————