Part 45

Lorenzo's POV

"So where is she?" I mumbled as I held an ice pack to my jaw. "Is she still here?"

"No." Ricco answered as he moved his ice pack to the other side of his face. "Angelo had Luca take her to his cabin. For now I think it's for the best."

"Maybe." I said as I looked over at him.

I can't believe I snapped on her like that. Even though I've told her countless time to stay away from the basement, it doesn't justify my actions. My anger took control of me and I fucked up. If my bloodied knuckles weren't enough to remind me of that, I still have the look of fear that was on her face burned into my mind.

"What's wrong?" Ricco asked as he put his feet up. "You totally just zoned out."

"I'm turning into him." I said as shame filled me. "Never did I think I'd lose control like that. Right now I'm no better then father."

"No." Ricco said as he put his ice pack down. "Father would've hit her. You scared the living hell out of her, but she's fine. Just because you punched some drywall and had an argument doesn't mean that your marriage is over."

"I'm supposed to protect her not scare her." I told him as I dropped my head. "So much is fucked."

"It's only fucked if you don't actually try and fix it. Women love to see effort Lorenzo. Even if you fail." he said as he got up from the table and tossed his ice pack on my desk.

"That it?" I asked. "After that you're just gonna leave?"

"As much as I would enjoy sitting here with your pathetic self loathing ass I have to deal with my daughter." he said as he looked down at his phone. "Gianna's about had it with her."

And with that, he walked out my office. Thankfully I didn't have to be alone with my thoughts for to long though. Moments after he left, Angelo and a bunch of men rushed in.

"What?" I asked as I looked at them all.

"We have to go in." Angelo said as he put a big black sack on my desk along with a couple semiautomatic guns. "The girls are requesting backup."

Great. With this whole thing with Klarissa I had completely forgotten that Portia and Anika are currently on an assignment to deal with the French. If tonight goes well for us, it could potentially change everything. I could potentially push them out of business in America and make all their associates flee back to France.

"That bad, huh?" I said as I opened the black duffel bag and started to pull out the bulletproof equipment and ammo. Based on their hourly reports, my men told me that it would be best for me to send someone else rather then myself to deal with this. The probability that I would catch a bullet is high and they don't want to see me dead.

"Yeah." he said as he looked down. "I don't know who's gonna be able to make it out. But you need to decide who you want to send."

There were four guns and four bullet proof vest. Angelo knew as well as me that whoever I send is getting sent to the slaughter. It's  a complete toss up.

"I'll go." I said after a moment. "It's the smartest choice."

"Lorenzo don't be irrational." Angelo said slowly as he looked at me. "You're worth more to us alive then dead."

"The girls need me." I said as I stood up. "It's been decided."

"I'll go with you then." Angelo said as he reached for a gun. "There's no way I'm letting you go in there alone."

"No, I need someone on the outside." I said. "And if something happens to me, my brothers will look to you for guidance. You know the business better then them."