To the Top of the Vine

There's something about the end of an island that makes time slow down. Each bolt of lightning another second that is passing, yet I know that is only how time is being perceived for me. All over Skypiea people are running for their lives to get off this island that isn't going to be here for much longer if Eneru gets his way. Even with anger and a touch of fear running through my body, I feel a strange sense of calm at all that is happening around us.

That is until a giant lightning strikes nearby, sending Aisa and Usopp flying as we all let out screams of shock.

"Geez, I can't wait to see that joke of a god get what's coming to him," I snarl as I look up at the sky.

"That last thunderstrike was way too close!" Usopp bellows.

Nami jumps to her feet, rushing over to pick up the waver to hop in. "Everyone but Akari, go back to the ship! Akari, come with me and we will catch up with Luffy!"

"Why do I have to go!?" I question. "Shouldn't I help get the injured onto the ship!"

"Because the one rushing up to defeat a god is your boyfriend that you are madly in love with! Also, he hasn't seen you since he was tossed off the arc, so I bet he would like to see that the one he loves is okay!"

I nod a few times as the realization settles within me how much I want to see Luffy. "Fair point!" I rush over to the jump into the waver. My arms instantly wrapping around Nami's middle as I press into her. "Let's go get Luffy."

Nami doesn't waste a second to go full speed up the giant vine. It is jarring for a moment, but my brain is focused on a lot of other issues at the moment to get sick. Other than that, the ride is smooth as we barrel towards a golden ark in the sky and a boy with a giant golden ball trapped to his arm.

"You've gotten quite good at riding this contraption, Nami!" I shout into the wind, wanting any conversation to help distract from what still needs to be done. "You really are a natural!"

"Thanks! I guess I just have really good balance!"

"If this whole place doesn't plummet to the sea, you'll have to let me try it!"

"Aren't you always the one that has steadfast faith in him to beat any foe that stands in his way!? I'd expect you to be convincing me that everything is going to be okay!"

"I have no idea how this island is staying in the air, and those giant lightning strikes must have demolished large areas of this place. Even if Luffy kicks Eneru's ass enough that the jackass god doesn't get back up again, who knows if everything will stay as it is right now."

"Even if Luffy can climb all the way to the top of this damn vine, our enemy is still floating too high in his stupid ark."

"Then what is the point of us chasing after him?"

"If this country really is eradicated, then we'll need to grab him and get away!"

"Then I hope it doesn't come to that!"

The whole-time giant lightning bolts have been striking down all over Skypiea. Angel island must be in ruins, and wherever Wiper and his people live has probably been demolished. The countless other places around that we never even saw must me smoldering from the barrage that Eneru is raining down. I've never believed he was a god, and everything I know about higher beings like who he wants to be has long been tainted, yet I still can't believe that he is destroying the place that he has ruled over for all these years. All he cared about was the gold this island in the sky could give him. He never was concerned about the people or making their lives better. I'm amazed that I can hate him anymore than I already do.