An Average Day in Blacksmith Village

+~*~*~*~*~*~+

"Akari story time!" Felix and Lilith cheer as they run to the living room after dinner.

"I really feel like I need to help with cleaning up," I chuckle as Eleonor and Hans start to gather the dishes to wash.

"Trust me, you are helping out just as much by keeping them occupied while we get some chores done," Eleonor smiles. "I'm starting to wish that you'll never have to leave."

"You really are like an older sister to them," Hans pats my shoulder as he walks by. "All this time you're spending with them is going to stick with them for all their lives, so you better hurry up before they riot."

"You two really are the best," I smile at both of them before sprinting out of the room towards the living room where the twins are already curling up on the couch.

Today was my third full day here in Schmied, and I've found myself in quite the rhythm already. I wake up at the same time as everyone else to help with breakfast before Lilith, Hans, and I head to the blacksmithing corner. Sometimes Felix joins us if he needs to pick up items from town. Eleonor always sends a nice lunch with us, which has been a blast to eat with Lilith and Hans. Then when the day is done, we head back to their house where Eleonor and Felix have dinner waiting for us. The second that dinner is finished, the twins rush to the living room to hear more of my pirate journey. Then a couple hours later they are close to falling asleep, prompting us all to head to our rooms to get ready for bed. It all repeats the next day, and as much as I'd like some kind of adventure to happen, I also don't hate this simple life.

The only thing that sucks are the nightmares that have returned to plague my sleep. I fortunately haven't woken up screaming like I used to do all the time back home when I wasn't spending the night in the treehouse with Luffy, but I still burst awake as my heart is pounding in my chest like it's going to burst out, and I'm covered in a sweat that turns cold the second I am fully awake. I've dealt with nightmares for many years, but ever since I've set out to sea, they've been under control. Something about falling asleep in Luffy's arms fully relaxes my brain so it doesn't bring forward images of the worst moments in my life when I'm the most vulnerable. Now that I'm without those comforting arms around me, my brain has gone back to making my sleep something I dread. I know that I won't have to deal with it forever, but it still sucks right now that I can't get a full nights sleep. All because of what a single man did to me.

That's what makes my heart swell so much watching Hans with Felix and Lilith. He is the father that I longed for when the man who raised me turned evil. He's what that man should have stayed even after my adoptive mother died. Hans encourages Lilith even when she makes a huge mistake, and he is always telling Felix how helpful he is by picking up whatever Eleonor needs in town. He never raises his voice, he frequently shows all of his family how much he loves them, and he would never think about throwing anything at them in anger. He certainly didn't have to give me a room in his house or take me under his wing to teach me more blacksmithing techniques, but he's done it with genuine want and care in his heart. He's not helping me out because he has to. He and Eleonor want to help me, so they are doing everything they can to make my stay as comfortable as possible. And that is what is healing for me, because even though I can't change what happened to me back in Foosha, I know that I can move past it with help from others.

Which the neighbors have been doing since they heard I was awake. I've gotten multiple pair of shoes from a middle-aged woman who said they pinched her feet; Mrs. Schwartz has given me some ribbons to tie my hair back with; a teenage boy who works making bags said he'd give me a backpack for when I decide to head out. There's been an influx of vegetables and fruits from people's gardens, as well as animal products like eggs and milk. I'm sure the extra loaves of bread and pastries are coming either from Eleonor's pocket or being gifted. Regardless, no matter how many times I try to pay Eleonor back for my place at the table, she refuses to take my money. She says the neighbors are helping to make sure that I don't go hungry, and she'll figure out how to pay everyone back once I'm on my way. It's amazing to feel this much love from people I barely know.