High School AU Filler Chapter 2

My alarm clock blares, dragging me out of such a peaceful sleep with a groan. "Life is not fair at all."

Last night was a lot of fun spending time with my brother and boyfriend, but they have a lot more energy than I could ever dream of having. We went to bed way too late, and today is going to be hard to get through without falling asleep in class. My brother can get away with it, being narcoleptic and all, but I did not inherit that gene. I'll just have to power through with a coffee.

I push myself up, swinging my legs over the side of my bed into some cat slippers, and shuffle out of my room. The strong smell of eggs and slightly burnt toast fills my nose the closer I get to the kitchen.

Ace isn't really known for his cooking skills. He's known for his fire fighting skills, or the fact that he's as stubborn as a bull (as I am also guilty of that), or being overly protective of me, or being one of the most attractive boys in school. Still, he wakes up before me almost every day and attempts to make breakfast. I'll admit, that in the beginning he wasn't good at all, but he's become a lot better with all the practice. He has too if we want to have something to eat in the morning. That used to be mom's job, but obviously she isn't with us to do that anymore.

"Morning squirt," Ace smiles at me as I slide into the kitchen. "You look a bit tired," he chuckles.

"Shut up," I sigh, plopping down into a chair at our small kitchen table. "You know, you should probably wear a shirt when you're cooking to avoid burns."

"No matter how many times you tell me that, I still won't listen."

"Who are you even trying to impress? Is some girl going to burst through the front door and proclaim her love to you or something?"

"Hey, anything can happen."

I roll my eyes, "All the girls swoon after you, and yet you don't go on any dates."

"You're the only girl for me," he teases.

"Gag me," I chuckle.

"I'll worry about you and Luffy first. I'm not in any rush to get a girlfriend anyways. I know the kind of girl I'm looking for, and she hasn't stepped into my life yet."

"Because, as you said, I'm the only girl for you."

"That's right," he nods. "I have to take care of my precious little sister. I am your guardian with mom in the hospital."

"Do you think she'll let us come see her today?"

Ace quickly prepares our plates, setting one in front of me and the other at his spot. Then he walks over to the coffee pot to pour both of us a cup. "We'll go today regardless, and I can talk to the doctor even if she won't let us see her. I'm sure that she'll want to see us though. We haven't been able to see her all month. I'm sure that she misses us."

"I know that I miss her," I sigh, taking a bite of my toast. "When are you going to realize that you can change the setting on the toaster, so it doesn't start to burn?"

"When I stop liking my toast a little burnt," he smirks, taking his seat and placing our coffees down on the table. "Get up earlier than me if you want it different."

"Where did Luffy go?"

"Over to Shanks, I think. He said he wanted to talk to him about something, I don't know. I'm sure that he's getting advice for something he wants to try on you."