Waiting for a Ship

+~*~*~*~*~*~+

After an entire afternoon and evening of full-blown partying, we all crashed in our beds the second the sun went down. I'm not even sure how I made it up into the top bunk with Luffy, but he was able to get us situated before we both passed out. It felt good to know he was aware of holding me close unlike when he was unconscious from his wounds.

Now, as I slowly awake to his soft snores and arms wrapped around my body, I'm not sure I've felt more content in my life. I'd stay like this all day if he didn't get antsy the second he wakes up.

I sigh, snuggling into his chest in hopes that I will drift back off to sleep.

The sound of Sanji starting breakfast in the kitchen not that far away, coupled with a couple other members waking up for the day, stops any chance of falling back asleep in Luffy's arms. His snoring ceasing and the wiggle of his body further solidifies that fact.

"Dumpling," Luffy mumbles.

"Good morning, Luff," I slowly open my eyes, craning my neck to look up at him.

He's looking down at me with a smile full of love and his eyes barely open. "Waking up to you is a lot better than a fist slamming into my head. You're not handing out Fists of Love. You're a lot softer than gramps."

I press a light kiss to his lips, "I could never hurt you. There is no situation that I would ever hurt you. The very idea of you hurt makes me sad."

"The thought of you hurt makes me angry at whoever would do that to you. An anger that will only go away once I've taught whoever hurt you a lesson. No one hurts my sweets and gets away with it."

"I'm blessed by the seas to have such an amazing boyfriend. I'm glad that we've been able to figure everything out together. I like being able to experience things for the first time with you."

"Would you like to test something out that I've been thinking about for a while?"

"Give me a little context," I pat his chest.

"Kind of like the kiss I gave you after we beat that cow dude, but not as intense. There's not a lot of energy running through my body right now, so I wanted to kiss you like that again, but gentler." He untangles an arm from my hold to cup my cheek. "If you don't want to, we can just head down for breakfast, but I don't think telling you that I love you can express my gratitude for you enough."

"Those three words will always be enough. Do you think that you have to show me affection in order for me to know that you love me? That will never be the case, Luffy. I would love you just the same if you only held my hand and gave me hugs. Knowing that you'll kiss me at any time is great, but you don't have to go out of your way to do it if it isn't natural."

"Oh, it's natural. I've felt myself kissing you more because I've gotten used to it, and I know that I never have to hold back when I'm with you. I want to kiss you, Akari. Sometimes I think I need to kiss you. It helps convey feelings that I could never put into words."

"Then kiss me," I smirk.

"That's two days in a row you've asked that," he teasingly grins. "How could I ever deny my sweets when she asks?"

I open my mouth to respond, but Luffy uses that to his advantage to slot his mouth over mine. His practice after the fight with Blueno clearly helping him have an advantage in this moment. I'm not a piece of meat he's unsure of how to eat. I'm his girlfriend that he loves more than he ever thought he could romantically love a person. And he wants to kiss me in a way he never has to show that.