Mafia AU Filler Chapter 4

I've always tried to look at the bright side of even the worst moments in my life. When my parents died, it brought me even closer with my brother and brought Luffy into my life. When the gunfight broke out that led to me getting shot, at least I had the best doctors in all the world working to patch me up. When I lost the child that was going to make Luffy and I parents for the first time, at least I had him all to myself for weeks as we worked through our grief. However, after eight days stuck in this prison of an apartment, I can't think of a single thing. The books are still horrible (though they did improve slightly after my talk with Blackbeard), the meals I make are getting repetitive (I'm going to need more lessons from Sanji when I get back home), and I can't keep watching my friends try to be positive on the news (even though I love seeing their faces). There's no silver lining; only a giant storm cloud that won't let any sun through.

I sigh, knowing that no matter how hard I try, I'm not going to be able to focus on the words of the book I've been failing to read since after lunch. My mind keeps wandering, and I'm not doing anything to stop it.

The last four days were exactly the same as the first four. Thankfully, Blackbeard hasn't returned since his first visit to me, and I've been doing all that I can to keep getting through each day. This one has been exactly the same as yesterday, and I'm sure that tomorrow will be exactly the same as today.

"Maybe I'll just take a nap," I crease the corner of the page I'm on to save my spot, then I place the book on the coffee table. "A nap is what I need to settle my brain." I scoot down to get to a more comfortable position for a nap on the couch, letting my eyes fall closed.

With all this time on my hands, I've been thinking a lot about the first things I'm going to do once I see everyone again. I'm not going to keep the secret from Luffy anymore. I'm going to spend more time with all my friends. I'm going to show everyone that the title of Mafia Princess that has been forced on me isn't something to be messed with. I'm never going to walk alone somewhere.

My hands run over the bump that's getting harder to hide. If this place is bugged, it didn't seem like Blackbeard knew about my pregnancy. I'm sure he would have made some kind of comment if he did. Which means the bathroom is probably my only place of privacy. Though I have nothing else to hide from whoever is keeping tabs on me while I'm in here.

Every night I am still sending out the prayer that the next day will be my last, but each day my hope drips away. I know that I should be able to keep it together better than this. That I've been through worse and come out the better because of it. But life isn't the same as when I was a child. There are more resources on our side that would help immensely in a situation like this now. Not only technology, but people as well that love and care about me. People that would do anything to ensure that I get home safe. It is only a matter of time, so I just have to keep telling myself that.

A thunder-like rumble shakes my entire room, causing my eyes to pop up as I shoot up into a sitting position. There's no doubt in my mind an explosion went off, probably on the first floor. The only problem is I have no idea if it was someone trying to get in, or those inside are trying to fight off someone. Either way, my nap is going to have to wait.

"Please, please," I clasp my hands together. "Please, oh please be for me."

Besides the simple hum of the refrigerator, there isn't much that I need to tune out in order to focus on any sound that is coming from outside my space. I have no idea what floor I'm on, or how many people are standing guard right outside my door. All I know is that the front door is always locked, and the men that give me food and books were always different. Whoever is behind that explosion, if anyone is coming to get me, it might take them a while.