Chapter Two - Glimmering Rings

Chapter Song - Paper Rings by Taylor Swift

"Thank-you class, you're all dismissed. See you Thursday," Mrs Asher, my paramedic law and ethics teacher says. Hastily, I pack up my notebooks, textbooks and other stationary items that are scattered along my small desk space, before following the rest of the class out the lecture hall doors. Which, are incredibly heavy for some inconvenient reason. 

College recently started back up again and i'm pumped, although the grief knowing summer is over sits in the back of my mind. Especially taunting me when I sit through a two hour lecture, with uncomfortable college seats and the memories of the warm days at the beach and relaxing with no stress of school tortures me.  

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my major and learning everything about paramedicine to eventually become a paramedic makes me giddy inside. But I also miss the fun stress free days of summer, where I didn't have to sit through two hour lectures or have a CPR dummy freak out on me. That was not a fun day.

This summer was specifically adventurous though, since Damien and I went on a month long trip around Europe. Leo didn't talk to me for a week because he was jealous that I was going to Europe without him, but he forgave me once I brought him back a beret from from France. 

Damien and I visited France, Belgium, Germany and of course Italy. Where I finally met Damien's mum's sister - so his aunt - and his nonna, who both live together in a cute cottage in the outskirts of Italy. I'm also 90% sure his nonna loves me more than Damien, but he continues to deny it. 

"I'm pretty sure this class is the worst one," My college friend Naya groans, as the two of us walk out of the large lecture hall. Pushing our way through the crowded halls, trying to make our way out of the busy after lesson crowds. 

"I know," I sigh. "But it's still interesting," I boast and she rolls her eyes playfully.

"I wish I was like you and could find the positive in everything," she smiles, tucking a piece of her black hair behind her ear. I shrug before bidding my good bye to her, as we part separate ways through the busy campus. 

Walking through the sunlit campus, the grass green and fresh as it soaks up the remnants of the warm weather still looming around. Columbia University, it still feels so surreal that i'm a student here and i'm in my second year. 

I'm just glad I don't have to stay in the student dorms, Damien was adamant on not allowing me to stay there. He said and I quote 'I'll be lonely, you'll be to far away from me,' while gripping onto my torso. Even though Columbia's campus is a 10 minute drive or subway ride from our apartment, he practically dragged me to the apartment we now live in. 

Technically it's Damien's apartment, but whenever I say that he freaks out and rambles about how it's our apartment. Except I don't pay the rent or bills, though he does own the apartment building, so neither of us really pay.