Chapter Fourteen - Foolish Naivety

Chapter Song - Would That I by Hozier

Incessant fast pace knocks echo on my office door. "Come in," I grumble, hoping Jack will shut up his stupid knocking. 

"Damien, Damien, Damien," he speed walks up to my desk in a panic, placing his hand on the table. 

I look up at him with irritation, but I'm curious as to what has him in such a craze. "Yeah, Jack?" I ask. 

He stares at me, nothing but every thought scrambling behind his eyes, and I fight an eye roll at his behaviour. "I have a problem," he blurts out. "A severe problem," he says, earning my attention. 

"Would you like to explain to me this severe problem you have?" I question, taking off my glass and leaning back into my chair. 

Jack takes a hasty seat in front of my desk. "You remember Millie?" he asks. 

I nod. "Yeah, you were awkward as fuck around her," I answer, remembering how awkward Jack use to be, he kinda took a 180 when he started college. 

Parties, sex; he's apparently a hot shot player at his school now from what Daisy's told me. I'm not sure who would be attracted to my brother, but then again, he's my brother, I think he's an ugly mall-rat dipped in sewer water. 

He rolls his eyes. "Yeah, well she transferred to my school and is in my classes," he tells me, eyes panicked. 

"O-kay...?" I drift off, confused. How is this bad and at all my problem?

He groans. "You're not helpful at all, you know?" he questions rhetorically. 

I shrug. "I help who needs help, this situation doesn't bother me," 

"Whatever," he waves off. " She's in my classes and...I don't know...it's weird," he stumbles over what to say. 

"Weird how?" I question. 

He thinks, trying to formulate a proper answer. "We haven't talked since graduation, we just drifted apart. Now she's here, I don't know how I feel and...she hates me," he adds. 

I snort. "Hates you?" I question. 

"Yes, I went to say hi to her today day after class and she completely blew me off. Looked me up and down, scoffed and brushed passed me," he explains. 

Is this the same Millie I remember? She was rather shy and timid when I met her before, though it's been a few years, college could've brought her out of her shy shell like Jack. 

"Hm, sucks for you," I say and he slumps into his chair dramatically. "What does it matter? You didn't care about not having a relationship with her after all these years, you haven't even mentioned her,"

He rolls his bottom lip. "This is the problem, I got no clue!" he lifts his hands up dramatically, falling back into the chair again. 

"If I'm being truthful, I don't really care. I recommend asking someone who will be able to help you and will care," I say blandly, slipping my glasses back on and focusing back on my open emails.