Chapter Thirty Four - Corner Conflicts

Chapter Song - Black Out Days by Phantogram

"What can I say? Pickles and strawberry jam are an immaculate combination," Naya shrugs, explaining to me her newest pregnancy craving. "Sadly, I despise all sight of cheese." 

"Cheese?" I question, and she gags. "None of that, gotcha."

"I knew there was morning sickness when it came to pregnancy, but it's not just in the morning. It's like any time of the day. It's so inconvenient, you're lucky I didn't throw up in your lap when our professor showed that picture of a dead leg." She rambles, both of us walking down the school hallway after our last lecture, Rodney close behind us. 

"That leg was shocking. She could've at least given a warning," I say. "But do you have those baby scans on you? I want to see them." I smile giddily. 

She stops and turns to Rodney. "You have them in your wallet, don't you?" She asks, and he nods, a small smile gracing his lips. He's been smiling so much more recently - not anything grand - but I've been loving it. 

Taking the scan from his wallet, he passes it to me, and I smile at the little bean in the photo. "So tiny, oh my goodness," I gush. "I can't believe you're already 2 months pregnant, this is going to fly by." I comment. 

"I know," she enthuses. "Gonna look like a whale." She says, and I roll my eyes. 

"You won't look like a whale," I assure her. "You'll look gorgeous and glowy." 

She sighs. "I sure hope so," she says. "But excuse me for a second, I need to go vomit." She smiles tightly, before heading into the closest single room restroom. 

I lean on a nearby wall, the bathroom down a small hallway with a few others, and I check my phone for a few messages as Rodney stands in silence. "Are you excited?" I ask Rodney. 

He sighs softly. "I'm still processing it all. But yes, I am excited." He tells me, and I smile at the happiness thats very apparent in his eyes. 

"I'm happy for you." I tell him. 

"Thank you," he says. A notification tings on his phone, capturing his attention. "Naya needs me, are you alright here?" He asks me with alert. 

I nod, waving him off. "I'll be fine by myself for a few minutes, go help her." I tell him, and he rushes away. 

Flicking through my phone, I read up on a medical paper for an upcoming assignment, getting lost in the words and scrambling notes down on my notes app. I don't notice the dissipated hallway, or the echo of heavy footsteps coming from my left, until a voice shocks tears to my eyes. 

"Daisy," Trents voice makes my blood run cold. "Daisy?"

I squint my eyes shut so tightly, gnawing on the inside of my cheek in hopes the pain will jolt me awake. But this isn't a dream, and I'm not sleeping. This isn't one of those memories that flashes by me in the day, this is a new memory in the making.