Chapter Twenty Three - Furtive Schemes: All Unknown

Chapter Song - The Night We Met by Lord Huron

"Hey, coffee after class?" Naya asks through the phone as I walk down the crowded school hallway. 

"Sure. The one with those really good donuts?" I ask, halting in front of the women's restrooms. After she agrees for coffee at the good donut cafe, I tell Rodney I'll be a moment in the restroom. 

He nods and stands against the wall on the other-side of the hallway. Pushing open the door, a few girls stand at the basins, but I head into a cubicle paying no attention to their calm conversation. 

Once they leave a still silence embeds in the bathroom, only a faded echo from the busy hallway from outside is heard. As usual though, the bathroom door swings and squeaks open once again, footsteps scuffing across the outdated white tiles. 

I would've paid no attention to the new girl in the bathroom, except I don't think it's a girl. A thick big pair of black muddied boots sit directly in front of my cubicle, the tips nudging just under the door gap. 

They stand facing towards me, and my heart catches up to my chest. "Uh, this cubicle is taken." I say to the stranger, staring at their boots with growing anxiety. 

No answer is given to me, only a hand reaches over the top of the door, a small piece of lined paper in the mans hand. I stare still at the hand; confused, scared, worried that if I interact with the hand it'll grab hold of me. 

And while I'm half naked on the toilet. 

"Take it." A gruff voice tells me sternly, and I rip it from the mans hand. And in a breath of him walking into the bathroom and out, he's gone. Almost like a vanishing ghost appearing for brief warning. 

Clutching the small note in my hand, I finish up in the cubicle, heading out and washing my hands, before opening up the note. The message is clear in printed writing, reading;

14 Argyle Lane, Queens. -Lie

"Lie? Who's Lie? And where the hell is this?" I question to myself. Finishing up in the bathroom, I head back into the now quiet hallway. "Rodney, did you see anyone go in or out of the restroom?" I ask him. 

He shakes his head. "No one. Did someone bother you?" he questions. 

"Uh, no. Well, I got this note from a random guy, and then he just left." I tell him. "It seems more something for Damien." I say. 

Rodney only nods. "You should go for coffee now with, Naya. You don't want to keep her waiting." he tells me, and I smile knowingly. 

"You need to ask her out on a date. Please, Rodney. I beg of you." I whine as we walk, making our way to the main courtyard. 

"I'm busy." he lies, his jaw clenched. 

"Liar, don't even. You don't work nights, or days when Damien's off." I nudge him lightly. "It's okay to be nervous, not that you have to be. But, I understand your fear to step into something new if it hasn't gone well in the past." I admit to him, and his eyes are coated with realisation and understanding.