Chapter Seven - A Storm Is Going to Come

Chapter Song - A Storm Is Going to Come by Piers Faccini

The black ball point pen spins between my fingers, the light weight of it bouncing in between my hand as I flick it back and forth in agitation. 

Apparently no one can do their job. 

"The stocks have risen over the past few weeks, though more work in the online field of luxury goods will provide benefits-" Martin, a 50 year old married with kids, employee speaks at his chair around the large meeting table, filled with other employees that listen to his deep monotone voice. 

I sigh deeply before speaking. "This is all incredibly interesting Martin, but no one else needs to know this information besides you and I, since what your explaining is your job and the reason you were hired," I cut him off, everyones gaze switching to me. 

"Yes sir," Martin nods his head and sits back down in the leather office chair. 

"You can all go, meeting dismissed," I instruct and the group pack up their supplies, before exiting in a rush. "Romeo, call in Jack and the others, I want to talk about my father," I tell Romeo who remains seated in the chair next to mine. 

He nods and exits through the glass doors, the meeting room now silent, letting my mind have a moment to itself for a second. I sigh, leaning back in the cushioned office chair, looking out through the floor to ceiling modern glass windows, other city buildings in view. 

He's out their. Walking, breathing, talking, existing. He could be around the corner or downtown and I have no clue, only a few dismal leads that tend to fade into nothing.

I learnt from him, we know each others work ethics, how we hide and how our minds run. Or use to. I know he hasn't changed, but I have. 

It's what I have over him, the knowing he's the same piece of shit from my childhood and I'm nothing like how I was years ago. Neither is Jack. 

"Boss," my men nod as they enter the meeting room, including Jack who sits on the seat nearest to my right. 

"Updates," I say and they sort out their files. 

Jack perks up first. "There hasn't been much cyber wise, he's been spotted a few times around, yet in sparse areas it's hard to completely narrow down his specific whereabouts. Also the missions you sent out came back negative, they didn't find anything at the specific location except a few cigarette buts and some dirty dishes, so it seems he was there," Jack explains, then leans back into his chair once he finishes talking. 

I nod, gripping my pen a little tighter at the lack of new information on his whereabouts. "I hope someone has something," I say to none of them in particular. 

They share worried looks and I scoff. "Nothing? You've found nothing?" I ask rhetorically, in as much a calm tone as I can muster. 

"Sir, he's hiding his tracks, both physically and online. It's difficult to find someone who simply doesn't exist anywhere in air," Tyler, another one of my men, explains.