Chapter Thirteen - Thing 1 & Thing 2

Chapter Song - Free by Florence + The Machine

"Would you support me if I dropped out and bought a small cottage in the middle of England?" Naya's question greets me as she takes the free seat in front of me. A few other library studiers glance our way at her out of the blue question. 

I smile. "I'd join you," I answer. I love my major and I love college, but goodness, can't my professors give me just a tiny break? 

"Good, because I'm this close to running away into a fantasy novel," she makes a small gap between her pointer and thumb fingers. 

I stop my note taking, meeting her gaze. "Don't worry, I'm this close as well," I say and she sighs dramatically. 

"I just want a fantasy man to pick me up off my feet and fly me to dreamland," she sighs wistfully and I snicker, glancing at Rodney who's eyes smile at an oblivious Naya. 

"Why is college having my ass? I didn't give them consent," she says seriously, but I just burst out laughing, earning me a few more glances. 

"I think we're in need of a break," I smile, feeling the need for another sleepover with Naya. 

We try to plan them as much as possible, but college work gets in the way of that. Annoying since she's my only girl best-friend. I love Leo and Miles, but I didn't realise how needed it was to have a girl friend in my life. 

Especially one who's practically me but with darker hair and glowing brown skin I'm jealous of. I hate being pale, specifically since summer's now over and I'm resembling a sheet of A4 white piece of paper. 

"Sleepover, yes please," she leans over with excitement. 

"Damien's on Chicago for business so we get the house to ourselves, well, besides Rodney," I nod over at Rodney who stands between two old oak bookshelves. 

Naya's gaze snaps to him and then back to me. "I didn't realise he was here," Naya whisper shouts, her cheeks blazing scarlet. 

I giggle at her flustered state. "He's always with me, you should know this by now," I tell her and she sends me a playful glare. 

"Well, he doesn't have to stare," she adds sheepishly, her beet red cheeks deepening when she makes eye contact with Rodney. 

I see him hide a smirk at her flustered state. "He only stares at you like that," I say and her eyes widen, meeting my gaze again. 

"Oh goodness gracious," she mumbles to herself. "I have to go to class," she gathers herself and bids me a rushed goodbye, glancing one final time at Rodney. 

Once she leaves I look over at Rodney. "Can't you just talk to her? Maybe ask her out?" I question him and he rolls his eyes. 

"You're into her, she's into you, bam! Date," I tell him and he just shakes his head at my idea. A great, fantastic idea at that, and I will get them together.