Chapter Nine - Down On One Knee

Chapter Song - Exile by Taylor Swift (Ft

Chapter Song - Exile by Taylor Swift (Ft. Bon Iver)

Today's the day. Proposal day. 

I'm so freaking ecstatic and incredibly giddy, but I must keep it intact. Leo tasked me with distracting Miles for the morning, until he texts him to meet him at the park, with whatever excuse he'll tell Miles. 

Hopefully it's something casual and not barbarically stupid, but it's Leo, so

Rodney stops out the front of Leo and Miles' apartment building, Leo already out and at the park setting up. Though Miles thinks he's at work and the two of us are just going shopping for the day. 

I tell Rodney I'll just be a second and hop out of the SUV, buzzing Miles apartment number and waiting for him to pick up on the telecom. 

"I'll be down in a sec'!" he calls out and I reply with a faint 'okay'. 

I turn, leaning on the brick wall, Rodney looking at me through the rear view mirror and keeping his eyes on me like usual. You'd think I'd be weirded out or annoyed with him following me around 24/7, but it feels nice having an added layer of protection, knowing if something happens, I'll be okay. 

Or have someone to help me. 

"Morning, Daisy!" Miles greets me with a hug and I jolt, but return his hug. Soft vanilla but an edge of pine is all I smell when I hug him closely, his scent always comforting and warm like his entire persona. 

I pull back from our hug, a lazy smile on my face and I hope he can't see right through me and catch on how excited I am for today. "Morning," I reply back casually. 

He doesn't sense any weirdness and turns on his heel, hopping into the back of the SUV and I follow him as well. 

Miles greets Rodney and he nods back in greeting, not a lot of words being uttered to any one besides me and even I don't get much out of the stoic man. 

"You know Daisy, Leo was acting really strange this morning," Miles blurts out, no hint of suspicion laid in his voice, but I freeze. 

"Oh, how so?" I question, my eyes darting to the rearview mirror, where the ghost of a smile hangs on Rodney's lips. I narrow my eyes at him, silently telling him to 'shut up'.

"He was just awkward almost, like he kept avoiding eye contact with me and seemed almost nervous, and you know Leo, he never gets nervous," Miles explains. 

I nod, pretending to be suspicious on Leo's mysterious behaviour. "That is weird, maybe he was just having stomach problems?" I question. 

Don't know why stomach problems was the first thing to come to mind, but whatever works I guess. 

"Maybe," Miles hums, looking out the window. "He did forget his IBS medication this morning and yesterday," he says to no one in particular. 

The car drive is filled with more chatter between Miles and I, casual topics of work, school and pop culture.