Chapter Thirty Eight - The Chime Of Wedding Bells

Chapter Song - This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) by Natalie Cole & Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers

Four Months Later

The airy scent of bright Spring florals floats around Leo's grandmas backyard. It would surprise anyone to believe guests float around in someones backyard, though the massive white mansion that sits on two acres of land fools anyone. 

With the backyard cosy and intricate, even in its vast landscaping, I stand with a few hundred plus guests who wander around the flourishing garden. Vibrant Spring flowers decorate every nook and cranny, as guests sip on simple cocktails before the ceremony. 

I stand dressed in a ruffled fancy floral dress that teases the shards of grass below me. Paired with a pair of white strappy heels, my hair dangles in its short waves as it sits just at my earlobe - I did in fact cut it shorter on a whim. 

And as I pace a little in the backyard of people I know, and some I don't - mainly Leo's old college team, and some New York Knicks members - I try to calm my nerves. This reminds me of my valedictorian speech, except I'm not wishing away a bunch of high school students, I'm marrying my two best friends. 

The loudest cackle left my body when they asked me to officiate, and when they didn't join in, I knew they were completely serious. Thats when the tears of joy came, and now, the minor buzzing nerves in my stomach. 

It did make a little sense for me to officiate, since I wasn't about to choose sides between my friends, and this lets me share their moment in a way that'll be extra special. Though Miles has engraved it into me that I must step out of the way when they have their first married kiss. 

I was offended he didn't think I already knew to do that. 

"How are you feeling?" Naya's hand lays on my shoulder as she comes around, a mocktail in her hand as her seven month belly brushes my torso. 

I take another sip of champagne. "Trying not to freak out. But it'll be fine, people will be focusing on them," I ramble. "Unless I mess up and completely ruin their wedding. Ha! That would just be wonderful." 

Naya looks at me with sheepishly worried look. "Lets take this away," she slips my drink from me. "And you'll be perfectly fine. It'll all turn out fine, even better than fine." She smiles softly, her eyes kind but firm. 

"It will," I huff. "How are you feeling?" I ask, knowing she's been on her feet all day helping set up along with the rest of us. Well, not as much because Rodney is too over-protective to allow her to push herself this far into her pregnancy. 

She gives me a bland expression. "Babe, I am seven months pregnant. Practically eight. My feet are constantly sore and swollen, I always need to pee, and I'm trying to contain the sweat trickling down my back into my ass." 

I snicker. "Sorry I asked."

"Eh, thats pregnancy. You'll understand in the future." She winks, and I poke my tongue out at her.