Chapter Eighteen - A Furry Friend

Chapter Song - Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls

"I'll go grab her for you," the worker smiles as she heads round back to get our dog. I squeeze Damien's hand out of sheer excitement, completely jittery and full of fizzy bubbles to get our dog Iris today. 

"I'm so excited," I jump, my smile lightning in a stormy sky. 

Damien smiles softly down to me, a replicated excitement buzzing in his eyes, but he keeps it better contained compared to me. "I can tell," he jokes. 

I roll my eyes, but whip my head when I hear the tippy taps of dog claws against the tile flooring. The worker comes through the back door, Iris's tail wagging as she rushes through on her lead into the front entry. 

I feel like a parent seeing their baby for the first time, this dog will be our child until years later we'll probably be surprised by one. "Here she is," the lady says, unclipping her from the lead and handing Iris over to me. 

I hold her small frame in my arms, running a hand over her light brown and white fur. Big caramel eyes peer curiously up towards Damien and I, every part of her soft, calm and small like the little puppy she is. 

"Hello," I say in a squeaky lovey voice - I'm about to be a sappy ball of mush for this dog. 

Damien runs his hand over her fur, smiling softly down towards her as she snuggles into my arms, obviously a little tired from such a big day. Because being a dog is such a struggle - sleeping, eating and playing really exhausts a puppy. 

"Ready to go home?" I question softly. Bidding a goodbye to the lady, we make our way back to the car, Damien in the drivers seat as I hold her in my lap. 

Curled up into a ball, she remains awake but quiet and calm during the drive home. I run my hands delicately over her soft fur, admiring her tiny frame; little nose, little paws and little everything that uncontrollably adorable. 

Oh goodness, the cuteness aggression is sizzling.

"Welcome home," I whisper as we walk through the front door, placing her on the floor and she stares curiously around the room. 

Wandering, she walks around slowly and a little cautiously as she sniffs and explores her new home. Damien and I follow her like overbearing parents, watching her take everything in and scope out every inch of our home. 

"She's so fucking cute," Damien says, eyes stuck on an explorative Iris. 

I grin cheesily. "Right? You wanna hope your bank account is big enough, I don't think I'll be able to help myself when shopping," I tell him. 

"It is," he assures. 

On her own, she finds one of the dog beds we bought a few days ago besides the couch. Snuggling into her ball, she looks like an ant inside an empty jar, her bed big, fluffy and a little absurd.