Chapter Twenty Seven - The Answer Lays Burned

Chapter Song - Breath Of Life by Florence + The Machine

A shrill ring of my phone echoes around my dark bedroom. I groan, shoving my face back into my pillow, hoping the shrill ringing disappears from my dream. 

It does not, and it goes off again. 

"What?" I grumble, sitting up amongst the darkness, only a little bit of moonlight creeping in through the curtain. I place my phone to my ear, my eyes only half open as I wonder if I'm still dreaming or not. 

"Daisy." Leo's voice is straight, and I perk up, now wide awake. 

"What? What is it? Is he okay? Oh, please tell me he's-"

"He's awake." Those two words leave Leo's mouth, and shove tears out of my eyes. 

I sob. "Really? Really?" I question, placing a hand over my mouth. 

"Really, really," Leo's smile is infectious into my ear. "And he's asking for you. Well, more demanding for you. So you should probably get to the hospital before he comes to you." He laughs. 

"I'll be there soon." I tell him, and end the call. 

Rushing up from bed, I don't bother changing. I grab the nearest coat to me, and slip on a pair of sneakers in my bare feet. Gross, but I could less as of now, because Damien is awake. 

Damien is awake. 

Even if it is 2:11am in the morning, I don't care. I just need to get to him as fast as I can, and at this moment I wish I had super speed. 

Running down the hallway, I grab my purse and phone, Rodney already ready to take me. We head into the elevator and run through the parking lot to the car, Rodney driving a little faster than the speed limit. 

Once we arrive at the hospital, I don't care about Rodney or anyone around me. I sprint through the hallways, and take the stairs because there was a hold up at the elevator, and I'm not about to just wait and see my now awake fiancé.

When I make it to his hallway, I sprint faster than I ever have and burst into his room. Jack, Miles, and Leo's heads swerve to me, eyes happy and relieved. I round the curtain that covers Damien's bed, letting out a stupid wet sob when I see him. 

Eyes open, sitting up, and looking at me with relief and love. "Morning, love." He says, his voice raspy and face tired, but happy. 

I walk over to him, sobbing uncontrollably at this point. I hold his face in my hands, not caring about the tears flowing down my cheeks, or the snot building up in my nose, or even what I look like right now. 

He's awake, and it's okay. He's awake. 

"Am I dreaming?" I choke out, running my fingers ever-so-softly over his skin. 

He shakes his head. "No, I'm awake," he tells me, placing his hands over mine, and I let out another sob when his skin touches mine. "I'm okay, baby." He assures me.