Chapter Twenty Nine - A Glimpse of Normal

Chapter Song - Light My Love by Greta Van Fleet

"Thanks Rodney, we appreciate you staying here. Watching the apartment, and Iris, it took a lot of stress off my shoulders." I tell Rodney, Venom sat calmly beside him on his leash. 

"Of course," He says. "I should be going, Naya's waiting." 

I hide an amused smile. "I really am Cupid, aren't I?" I question rhetorically. 

He shakes his head, a small smile on his lips. "Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night," he says. "I'll be going, see you later." He bids the goodbye, before leaving, and I shut the front door softly behind him. 

Iris nudges at my chins, her tail wagging excitedly. "Are you happy to have your house all back to yourself?" I ask in that sweet cheesy voice. "I bet you are, hm?" I say, picking her up. "Lets go check on your dad."

Walking down the hallway, I open our bedroom door softly, the room dim as the blinds are shut, and the curtains and are closed. Damien lays asleep on his back in bed, and Iris wriggles in my hold to be let go, but I keep a hold on her for now. 

As I take a seat on the bed, Iris wriggles out of my hold and steps over to a fast asleep Damien. I shuffle over on the bed, making sure she doesn't jump on his head or torso. She's still a puppy, and very energetic, so even though her excitement is out of pure love, it won't feel like it to Damien's head or torso. 

Iris sniffs around him a little bit, before hopping off the bed and heading over to her favourite cushioned seat in the walk-in robe. I'm unsure why she loves that seat so much, but she does, and I won't stop her. 

I place a hand on Damien's forehead, leaning over him as I watch him sleep. As I watch him sleep knowing he'll wake up, and I won't take that for granted again. 

He sighs as I run a hand over his hair, rolling over to face me. "What time is it?" his voice is gruff and tired. 

"About 5pm, you can keep sleeping if you want," I tell him. "I came to ask if you wanted any dinner." 

He opens one eye, squinting. "Sure, I should eat. Are you ordering something?" he questions. 

"Yeah. I'm tired from classes, so. Did you feel like anything in particular?" I ask.

He pulls me down to him, and I shift so I lay beside him, his arm resting over my torso. "No, I don't mind. What you like, I like." His voice is almost a mumble, his eyes half closed. 

I smile, tracing a finger over his lips. "Except rocky road. You don't like rocky road." 

"Mm, I don't like it." 

"And you don't like pumpkin spice." I add. 

"True as well," He mumbles. "But I don't think you'll order any of those for dinner, will you?"

I giggle. "Definitely not. But I am craving pumpkin spice now."

"Yeah, and I'm craving you." 

I huff. "Don't. You have to wait, Mister." I tell him, and a scowl draws on his face. "You think two weeks is bad, wait until I give birth. You'll have to wait over six weeks." I tell him.