Chapter Thirty Seven - The Aftermath Of Great Heartache

Chapter Song - Love Me Like You Do by Ellie Goulding

"A helicopter?" I question. 

"Yes." Damien nods. 

"And you can fly it? Legally?" 

He chuckles. "I wouldn't put you in that danger." 

"Huh," I smile, leaning on him, my chin tilted up to meet his amused eyes. "And I never knew this fact about you, why?" I ask. 

He shrugs. "The helicopter is usually used for business purposes," he explains. "But I thought it time to bring you out for a little flight tonight." 

I grin brightly. "Oh yeah, I like that sound of that." 

He cups my face. "Good, cause I didn't have any other plans." He gives me a sheepish expression, and I slap his ass in rebuttal.

Once the elevator dings on the top of his building, we step out into a small foyer area. The glass doors open to the helicopter pad, releasing strong gushes of wind you don't feel from the ground, and I thank my hair is shorter cause it would've been a menace if it were still long. 

"Oh my god," my voice lingers on a gasp. "It's beautiful up here." 

"It sure is." Damien says, and I peer over at him to see he's already staring at me. 

The city of New York is a glitter hurricane, and I could stare at it's stunning mess all day long, hoping its shine illuminates all the dark spots inside of me. 

Helping me into the front seat area, he takes the pilot side and places a headset on my head then his. "This is crazy," I laugh. "I'm a little peeved you didn't tell me you could fly helicopters." 

"Cause I knew you'd make me fly you everywhere. We'd end up living in the air, and poor Iris would be petrified." He says. 

"That would be true."

Taking off, Damien steadies for a little before we're settled and we're flying around the late night, bright light of New York City. Up here, it feels like nothing matters, that all the problems try to hang on, but fall to their deaths. 

Up here it's just us, just Damien and I. And with everything with the trial recently, being so high and far away from the buzz is riveting. Though still being able to enjoy the beauty and mystical youth New York seems to hold. 

It is a place of dreams. A place not where they sprout, but where they bloom. A city so dense, it feels gigantic, and each corner turned is a road soon to be walked. Chicago will always be dear to my heart, and nothing will overrun my love for Chicago. 

But New York is glitzy, glamorous, and so utterly deranged it makes you feel sane. New York is for the insane dreamers who come here to find others alike, and others so far from their persona, nothing seems to matter anymore to them.