Chapter Twenty - The Muffled Ringing of An Imminent Plea

⚠️TW: Verbal/Emotional Abuse⚠️

Chapter Song - Mess It Up by Gracie Abrams

Three Years Ago - Junior Year

"Look, if the dinner really goes horribly wrong and your parents humiliate you, I'll happily call you with a fake dramatic emergency," Miles assures me. 

I smile softly, sorting out my textbooks. "Thanks Miles," I say. "And I know I shouldn't stress, but I can't stop thinking about it. My brain just has this habit of wanting to feel terrible," I admit. 

"It'll be great. Trents nice, and from what Leo's mentioned he seems to be the 'parent approved' friend," he smiles. "You don't need to worry," he reassures.

I blow out a quick breath. "You're right, I'll be fine. It'll all be great," I say with false courage. Fake it 'till you make it, right?

"What will all be great?" a familiar guys voice sends a knowing look from Miles my way. He mouths a quick 'call you later', before heading down the hall for his final class - with me graced with a lovely free period. 

Meaning I get to leave the horrid sticky fatigue diseased place, also known as school. 

"Dinner tonight," I turn to meet Trent. "Are you nervous? Because you shouldn't be nervous, I'm definitely not nervous," I smile weakly. 

He smiles softly. "I'm not nervous, and you obviously aren't either," he jokes and I huff, leaning my head on his chest. "It'll be great, I'm not sure why you're nervous," he says. 

I pull back. "I'm just a nervous person,".

"Well, I'm not nervous, so you shouldn't be," he reassures, pressing a kiss to the top of my head. "Now, my mother has ordered I need to bring something as a kind gesture for tonight. So, if you're ready, lets go," he smiles. 

I nod, shutting my locker and hooking my bag over my shoulder. His hand holds mine as we make our way out of the building and to the student parking lot. 

Getting into his car, we head off to the shops, making simple chatter during the short drive. "I need your help, what should I bring?" Trent asks as we enter the supermarket. 

"Um," I hum, thinking. "Maybe a box of chocolates? But like nice ones," I say, and he nods, agreeing easily. 

Wandering down the aisles, we walk casually in no rush. "How was your test today?" Trent asks, curious about the small Biology test I had this morning. 

"It was fine. I mean, it was a test, those are never fun," I answer. 

"Agreed, they suck ass. But i'm not as smart as you," he compliments slyly, smirking down to me and I shake my head with a small smile. 

Wandering down to the confectionary isle, I scower the shelf for a box of chocolates. "What do you think?" I question, he shrugs. 

"You choose, you have better taste then me," he smiles softly. I nod, grabbing a simple pack of nice box chocolates and handing them to Trent. "Done?" he asks.