Four

“Ahhhhhh!”

I yelped in surprise. The bright light showered me. I was trembling in fear when Orlean poked me from the back. I started to walk slowly towards the door.

The red carpet covered the path and the stairs.

People around me murmured, “Wow, look at that jet-black hair.”

“Do you really think she is the Duke’s daughter?”

“I heard she is his bastard daughter.”

“I thought she was a distant relative.”

“Wasn’t a younger daughter supposed to come today? The emperor was really excited about that.”

“What an unusual skin color.”

It was no wonder people were confused. Lisbeth was supposed to come, yet they presented a 20-year-old girl.

Somehow, I didn’t fall. I arrived at the bottom of the stairs. I was taught last night what to do today. I didn’t want to, but I remembered the ceremony steps clearly.

I bowed first.

Before Orlean could poke me again, I said out loud the words I memorized, “It is my honor, as a daughter of Bonafit family, to meet the Emperor of the Empire Cransia.”

I could hear Orlean sighing in relief. I must have done it right.

As soon as I was finished, I heard the footstep coming towards me. It was the emperor coming down the stairs towards me.

A pair of pointy shoes appeared. It was such a ridiculous pair I almost laughed but stopped myself just in time.

A stranger’s voice said to me.

“Raise your head.”

A harsh voice.

I trembled so hard my teeth chattered. I clenched my teeth and raised my head.

I stared at my future husband.

“…”

“Oh~ not bad. A little different, but not bad at all.” The 70-year-old creep said to me.

I had hoped I was mistaken, and that I was to be married to a young hot guy. Perhaps this guy was under a curse, and once the curse was lifted, this old man would turn into a handsome prince.

However, I was being stupid.

My future husband was a wrinkly, ugly, old man. He was fat, yet he was so wrinkly it didn’t make sense. He also smelled horrible. His hair was completely white as if it was covered in powder.

If my grandfather was still alive, he would have been about 70 years old. I remembered seeing my grandfather in a photo and he looked neat and gentlemanly. I expected someone similar, but I was dead wrong.

This situation felt real now. I would become the concubine of this ugly old man.

My knees gave away as the harsh reality hit me. Orlean gasped in shock. Suddenly, the room became silent.

I knew I had to stand up, but I couldn’t feel my legs.

Then, someone offered me a hand. White-gloved hand.

“The lady must be very tired from the long journey.”

I took his hand and stood up.

He smelled wonderful. When I looked up, a young man was standing in front of me. He was the exact opposite of my future husband.

This must be a joke. The contrast was shocking.

Beautiful face, shining blond hair, kind green eyes. A handsome young man. He looked a few years older than me.