One Hundred Ten

I was dragged to a bedroom in the dowager empress’ wing.

She said I was to be executed at sunrise tomorrow.

I looked outside the window. It was just about to get dark, so there was still a little bit of time.

Knowing her, I expected the dowager empress to execute me in public. My death would make a great example for all the noblemen to show what would happen if they went against her.

She would say something like…

“Those who don’t follow me will face the same fate as the emperor’s wife!”

I didn’t plan on waiting for my death like a good prisoner. I wasn’t a docile little girl. I never was.

I would survive this!

I didn’t want to die!

Then there was Lucretius.

I refused to believe he was dead. I couldn’t help being worried, but I had to be strong.

However, just because I believed he was still alive didn’t mean I would wait for him to rescue me. I wasn’t some fragile princess trapped in a tower waiting for her prince.

My belief that Lucretius was still alive was based on logic. It appeared that this rebellion was cooked up rather hastily. This meant the dowager empress probably didn’t have enough time to gather up significant military force. The emperor was very well protected with layers of guards, so my guess was the attack on Lucretius was more of a distraction than an actual attempt to kill him.

She successfully accomplished her goal. She would take over the Senate and capture me. She also got the royal seal.

A majority of the royal guards seemed like they were still loyal to Lucretius, which meant the few men the dowager empress had were not enough to cover the entire castle.

The only reason why the loyal royal guards couldn’t do anything against her at this point was that the dowager empress had me, the chancellor, and the Senate members as hostages. On top of that, the chief of royal guards was also murdered and, therefore, the guards had no one to lead them.

I was well watched by the dowager empress’ maids and servants. They were big women, and they clearly wouldn’t sleep tonight.

I tried to think of a way to escape. Should I insist on going to the washroom by myself? Should I pretend to get sick?

Either way, I didn’t think they would listen to me.

If I didn’t escape before sunrise, I would be dragged out and executed.

Think, Bina, think!

Just then, I saw the fireplace. I estimated its distance from where I was sitting. I also noted the ring with a large pearl on my finger.

I grabbed my stomach and collapsed onto the floor. I was tied to the chair, so the chair fell with me as well. I flailed around to get closer to the fireplace.

“Oh! Arrrh! My, my stomach!”

The maids and the servants came to me quickly.

“Stomach?”

“Maybe she is lying.”

They were right, and I knew they would suspect it. However, I had to try.

I moaned as if in pain. “Oh, my… my baby…!”

As I continued to lay on the floor, the women seemed confused.

“W, what do we do? Is she really pregnant?”