One Hundred Five

In his arms, I asked, “What did Prince Coronel want from you for Ksania’s death?”

I already knew the answer and that was why I didn’t ask him earlier. Now, we needed to talk about it.

When I insisted on pulling at his shirt, he answered, “He wanted Ludia to become my empress.”

I knew it.

I also could guess why he refused, but I asked anyway. It was becoming a bad habit.

“Why did you say no?”

He answered stiffly, “To have a Genoan princess as my empress would be too risky. It will give too much power to Genoa and I can’t afford that.”

I stared at him and asked, “And that’s the only reason?”

Lucretius smiled smoothly. “I think it would be best not to explain my main reason to you, unless… You can tell me you are ready to take the position. Can you?”

“…”

I couldn’t.

I wasn’t sure especially after the meeting with the priestess. I was freshly reminded of my home and family, and I couldn’t just forget about them.

Lucretius reassured me kindly, “I promised you I wouldn’t pressure you, and I am going to keep that promise. It will mean something only if you choose me on your own, and… As you know, if you choose me, it means you choose this world.”

“I know.”

“… I will wait for your answer patiently.”

He was sure of what my answer would be.

He continued, “I am not worried. Your answer may be late, but I am certain what it will be.”

I grinned. “Oh, I’m sure you think so.”

He smiled happily. “I’m glad to see you smile again.”

At the time, I didn’t know the real storm was coming for us. In fact, I was already inside the eye of the hurricane.

***

It would take the Genoan Prince a month to get back to Genoa. At least a week or two for the king to make a decision regarding what to do with the current situation with Cransia…This meant we were going to hear from them in a month and a half.

During this time, Lucretius planned on preparing for any possibilities. The worst scenario was war.

However, even if a war started, it was very rare for the emperor to actually leave his castle. Knowing this made me feel better. Lucretius wouldn’t leave me.

I was still tense because of the current situation, so I couldn’t help but overreact at anything he said to me.

“A hunting game?” I asked him to confirm.

“Yes.”

It hasn’t been long since Lucretius became the emperor and therefore his power was still unstable. This was only a ruse to hide the military movement. He wanted to move the defensive royal guards without suspicions from anyone.

However, a hunting game was a double-edged sword. An event led by the emperor himself could be a golden chance for those who wanted Lucretius gone. When the emperor stayed in the castle, he was almost impossible to assassinate, but outside, it was a different story.

During the hunt, anything could happen. Lucretius would be in an open area. It would be easier to get to the emperor.

Of course, the emperor would also plan a trap for any assassins while hunting, so a smart assassin would have to be well prepared if he or she wanted to succeed.