Sixty Four

The next morning, a new face arrived. Except for Lisbeth, all the other maids welcomed her with genuine excitement.

Yulia bowed deeply and greeted me, “It is my honor to serve you, your highness.”

I felt unhappy at seeing her, but I smiled smoothly anyway and replied, “Welcome, Lady Yulia.”

After all the formalities, Yulia left with the other maids to chat.

She was clearly an intelligent young girl. Samantha and Agnes seemed to approve of her instantly.

Elza and Luis also treated her with respect and kindness.

Lisbeth, however, was the only one who continued to glare at Yulia with distrust. She most likely saw Yulia as a new competition for the emperor’s affection.

Finally, it was time for Yulia and Lisbeth to introduce themselves to each other.

Yulia said to her, “You are the daughter of Duke Aeal, right? May I call you Lisbeth? Please call me Yulia.”

Lisbeth responded sharply, “… You are the daughter of Viscount Morian?”

Everyone could hear the rudeness in her voice.

Yulia’s face became rigid for a second, but she quickly put on a calm face and replied, “That’s right.”

Lisbeth yelled at her offensively, “How rude!”

“… Pardon?”

“I am a proud daughter of the Duke of Aeal. The Bonafit family is one of the most influential and powerful families in the empire. On top of that, her highness herself owes a huge debt to my family. It is unacceptable for a mere daughter of a viscount to call me by my given name!”

“…”

The room tensed as if someone threw a bucket of ice water on everyone present.

Everyone, including Samantha, Agnes, Elza, Luis, and I, remained quiet.

We all stared at Yulia, who was gravely insulted by Lisbeth. Everything that will unfold henceforth depended on how she reacted.

“…”

“…”

After a long cold silence, Yulia suddenly put on a beautiful smile and replied, “Oh my, I see that I made a mistake.”

“…”

“Today is my first day at the castle, so I am ignorant of the proper etiquette expected of me. I didn’t mean you any offense. Please teach me from now on about proper manners, Lady Aeal.”

It was a perfect apology and it made Lisbeth look childish and petty.

I was impressed. The other maids didn’t say anything, but it was obvious they felt the same way.

Yulia quickly became part of the group, while Lisbeth continued to remain as an unwanted outsider.

“Wow! You’re amazing. Your organization skill is perfect. It’s better than my own work, Yulia.” Luis exclaimed excitedly. Her reaction was exaggerated. I could hear her voice was louder than usual.

Elza agreed with her sister in the same grand manner, “It’s true! So much better than me!”

Yulia responded humbly, “I am flattered. It is all thanks to your excellent lessons, lady Luis and lady Elza.”

Luis treated Yulia with a surprisingly friendly manner. She was usually very reserved.

She said to Yulia, “Please let’s be friends, Yulia. Just call me Luis.”