Nineteen

"Phew..." I sighed deeply.

Samantha, who was helping me undress, murmured to me in a consoling voice, "You did very well in front of the dowager empress. Don't worry too much about it, Your Highness."

"Really? Did I do ok?"

I asked doubtfully. I thought I did well at the beginning, but towards the end, I messed up badly.

Samantha replied, "Your Highness is young and the only wife of the current emperor. The dowager empress's time is winding down, while you are the new rising sun. You may not be an expert in the art of politics yet, but you will get better. I must say I am pleasantly surprised at how mature and wise you are considering your young age. I think you will find your own place here very soon."

"You are quite a flatterer." I grinned at her.

I felt more comfortable around Samantha than the dowager empress or Orlean, but that didn't mean I could trust her entirely.

I asked nonchalantly, "Who prepared that gift for the dowager empress?"

"...His Highness has ordered me to do so."

I knew it.

I turned around to face her. I lowered my voice, hoping it sounded commanding.

"Please make sure not to do something like that again without my knowledge. Especially if it is something that will anger the dowager empress."

By giving the dowager empress the gift of tea, the emperor and Samantha placed me in an awkward position. I knew that as the emperor's supporter, Samantha would do her best to save me from the dowager empress if necessary.

However, to her, the emperor's well being was the top priority. She would do her best to do things that would benefit him, not me.

I had to be firm on this. I couldn't be placed in such a risky situation again. I needed to be well prepared when it came to the dowager empress.

Samantha's face became rigid as she kneeled in front of me.

"Yes, Your Highness."

When she appeared to be very genuine in her respect for me, I couldn't help but like her even more.

It was probably because of how horrible Orlean was to me. She was so awful.

Now that I had thought about it, where was Orlean? I completely forgot about her. I asked Samantha, who was handing my clothes to another maid.

"What happened to the maid who came with me from the Aeal colony?"

Samantha smiled and gave me a perfect answer, "I was very surprised at how ignorant she was about serving her lady. Perhaps that's how things are done in Aeal colony, but not here. I sent her away for a week to learn about the proper royal customs."

I nodded with a smile.

Thank god! I didn't have the patience to deal with that woman after the ordeal I had with the dowager empress today.

I started humming. It was such a long day, but I finally got to go to bed.

However, my hope died quickly when Samantha announced.

"Now, you must get washed and wait for his highness."

I was shocked.

"What did you say?!"

What?

In a beautiful, moon-shaped tub were steaming water covered in blood-red rose petals. Surrounding the bathtub were maids, each holding a jar for some reason.