One Hundred Twenty Three

The tea party progressed pleasantly. The castle chefs outdid themselves with the desserts. Everything tasted heavenly. The snacks Izid bought from his homeland also were unique and delicious.

The best way to get acquainted with someone was to eat good food together and it worked.

I was very curious about Genoa and its policies. When I asked Izid about them, he answered me easily to my surprise.

“The king questioned Ludia and he was able to confirm the truth about what happened. The result was… Coronel got what he deserved. Only the king could have made such a drastic decision, and he did.”

I asked him, “I heard that Prince Coronel’s mother was the king’s first wife. I thought perhaps she wouldn’t have let it happen.”

He smiled bitterly. “True. The first wife and all of her children stood in front of the king’s chambers and protested in tears, but… the king wouldn’t change his mind. As for Ludia, this whole thing must have been too traumatic for her. She voluntarily gave herself to the temple of Rusae.”

Rusae was the goddess of the desert and widely worshiped by the Genoan people. A princess would enter the temple only if she lost her value as a royal member or she wanted to escape her life.

I could understand how shocking it must have been to see her own brother murder their aunt. Not to mention, at the king’s insistence, she confessed the truth and caused the death of her brother.

Since the king’s first wife protested so strongly against it, the king couldn’t order anyone to carry out the execution. In the end, the king himself brought out his royal sword and killed his son.

It was a tragic story, but I didn’t feel emotional about it.

Liliana paled at the story while I didn’t. It was strange how more accustomed she was of the ways in this cruel world, yet she reacted more than I did.

I had changed too much. I had become an unemotional robot.

I knew this was necessary, but I couldn’t help but feel bitter about it.

Just then, he walked in. Among all the pretty flowers, he was the most beautiful of them all.

He smiled when he saw me. “Bina.”

***

Fortunately, the tea party was a huge success.

Every guest behaved respectfully, and we were able to carry pleasant conversations during the entire time. In fact, we were all disappointed when it was time to leave. This was the first time I arrived in this world where I had such a satisfying and comfortable public event.

The main purpose of this small party was to create an environment where Prince Izid and Lucretius could meet informally and safely. During the meeting, Lucretius casually offered the Prince to meet in private, and Izid bowed happily.

I knew Genoa and Cransia will keep their peace for now. The political tension we briefly had was blamed on the dowager empress and Prince Coronel.

Now that both of them were dead, everything would be okay.

After the tea party, Lucretius and I walked back to my bedroom through the garden. We talked about the party and discussed politics.

We walked together as usual, but there was one thing different than before.

We were walking with our arms linked together. We looked like a loving couple.

It took me a while to realize that we were holding each other as we walked. The feel of him near me felt so natural that it stunned me.