Fifty Three

After the incident, Lisbeth complained of a headache and left to rest.

I didn’t stop her, and no one paid attention to her. It was better and easier for all of us without her.

After Lisbeth left, Luis finally exclaimed, “Dame Dotrya, I was so glad you said something!”

Elza added excitedly, “I agree! I just don’t understand what Lady Lisbeth was thinking. She often acts so rudely towards her highness.”

Samantha didn’t jump into their gossiping, but she sighed in agreement.

Agnes replied, “All I did was to just state facts. Personally… I hate people who use others in the name of protecting their own family. I also can’t stand it when someone falsely accuses a lady of adultery. I couldn’t help but become emotional.”

“…”

The room fell silent.

Everyone here knew the story of the previous empress Agnes served in the past.

It was the former empress Beatrice, who was also Agnes’s adopted sister.

Everyone knew how Beatrice was sent to become a concubine and later was executed after being framed of adultery.

I wasn’t very close to Agnes yet. It made sense since we hadn’t spent a lot of time together. Agnes did overreact to Lisbeth considering how she and I weren’t very close, but I suspected what happened today made her remember her painful past.

Perhaps, I reminded Agnes of her beloved Beatrice.

I sighed and asked Samantha, “By the way, what is happening with the invitations for the noble families that live in our castle?”

Samantha bowed and replied, “There is nothing to worry about. The emperor has taken care of it and so it is already almost done.”

I nodded and asked nonchalantly, “And what usually needs to be arranged for the princesses?”

“The princess that are married will be invited along with their husbands by the emperor.”

I asked more specifically, “Then what about the unmarried princesses? Should I be the one who invites them?”

Samantha nodded.

“That is correct. That was actually going to be your next task. There is a total of seven princesses in this castle. Five ladies are living in their respective mothers’ wings and…”

Samantha hesitated. This was why I brought up this topic. I wanted to hear about the dowager empress’s daughters.

I insisted, “And the other two princesses?”

Samantha looked uncomfortable before answering me.

“Princesses Liliana and Roselia will have to attend as well. Because the dowager empress won’t be coming to the ball due to her condition, I suppose you only have to invite the princesses, but…”

“Is there a problem?”

“It is just very awkward to send invitations directly to the dowager empress’s quarters.”

I nodded.

“That makes sense, but if I don’t send the invitations to the highest ranking princesses, I will look rude. Please make a proper arrangement.”

“Yes, my lady.”

I refuse to do nothing just because I feared the dowager empress’s reaction. No matter what happened, I was sure it would be beneficial to get to know the princesses and this was a good excuse for me to make contact with them.