One Hundred Eighteen

Lowson ordered Lucretius to rest for a month. It wasn’t a recommendation but a demand. Lowson was speaking to him with an authority of a doctor.

Lucretius, of course, tried to argue, but everyone around him insisted with determination. He had no choice.

If he dared to resist more, I would threaten him that I will have him tied down to the bed. With me on Lowson’s side, Lucretius was forced to listen.

Laying on the bed, covered in bandages, Lucretius argued, “I will be fine in a week or two.”

However, it was all for nothing.

Lowson harrumphed and shook his head.”Even when I first treated you yesterday, your injury wasn’t something that would heal in a few weeks… Now, your wounds have reopened and worsened. It has only been a day since I put a new dressing, so I’m not sure what you did last night…”

Lucretius grinned and I remained quiet.

“…”

“…”

Thankfully, Lucretius didn’t say anything. I wasn’t sure if Lowson knew about us when he continued.

“I have closed the wound again, so until it heals, you need to rest. Any strenuous activities are to be avoided.”

“…”

When Lucretius looked away and didn’t answer, Lowson turned to me.

“Your highness.”

“Y, yes?”

“Please make sure his highness doesn’t move too much. You need to watch him and stop him if he tries.”

“… Of course.”

He made me promise.

“No strenuous activities! Please remember!”

“…”

Did he know?

I didn’t have the courage to ask him, so I remained quiet and just nodded.

***

Everyone, including the chancellor, agreed that the emperor needed to rest and recover before returning to work. The only problem was if Lucretius took a break, a substitute was needed to take his place.

This was especially a crucial time for the empire. A major rebellion had just ended and there was an incredible amount of work needed to be done immediately. The chancellor was excellent, but he couldn’t take on everything. There were also matters that involved the fate of the noblemen’s titles and properties, and, therefore, required the royal seal.

Therefore, this was why I volunteered.

Lucretius knew I took the golden ring when he was asleep and went to represent him. He knew I discussed national matters with the chancellor without telling him. However, despite knowing all this, he didn’t say anything to me.

I felt grateful because I didn’t want to talk about it. No matter what he might have said, either something positive or negative, I thought it would have made me feel gloomy.

The fact that I took on this responsibility meant I accepted the position of an empress. Lucretius again didn’t mention anything about it, which I thought was a very thoughtful gesture.

Being an empress implied I had made the decision to stay in this world. This meant I would never return home.

I still hadn’t heard from the priestess, so I didn’t know if it was possible anyway.