Short Stories 9.7

Beatrice seemed to get nervous as her mother’s belly became bigger. She still pretended to be mature and nonchalant, but it was clear that she was still only a young child. Bina smiled at her daughter and tried to make her feel better.

“Don’t worry, Beatrice. No matter how big my belly gets, it will not burst. Even if I have a triplet in my womb, my belly will be fine.”

Beatrice’s green eyes widened. “I, I wasn’t worried about that. I’m not stupid.”

The young girl’s cheeks reddened. Beatrice was pretending not to be interested, but she kept glancing at her mother whenever she thought Bina wasn’t watching.

When Bina gasped and patted her stomach, Beatrice panicked and stood up. She seemed like she was about to call for the royal doctor, so Bina quickly explained.

“Oh, it’s just the baby moving.”

The five-year-old’s eyes widened even more. “It m, moves?”

“Yes, of course. It’s alive in mommy’s tummy. You were the same, Beatrice. You were very active where you were inside my womb.”

Beatrice looked down at her mother’s belly in amazement.

“Would you like to touch it?”

The child seemed contemplative.

“… Can I really do that?”

“Of course, Beatrice. You are going to be it’s big sister after all.”

Beatrice carefully approached her mother and placed her hand gently on Bina’s giant belly. As if it knew, the baby kicked hard.

“Oh!”

“I think the baby is saying hello to you, Beatrice.”

The little girl pretended to be unimpressed, but Bina could tell she was very excited. The empress smiled secretly. For a while, she was worried Beatrice might not welcome a new sibling, but Bina now felt certain that things would work out.

She was sure that Beatrice would love the new baby.

***

The second pregnancy was more peaceful. Her nausea wasn’t as bad, and she felt better overall. Beatrice was born earlier than expected, but the second baby was a bit late. Lucretius smiled thinking that perhaps this child will have a more relaxed personality.

The labor was also much shorter than the first time. In less than three hours, the baby was born.

The midwife smiled and announced, “Her highness the second princess has arrived!”

It was a happy occasion for everyone. Of course, some felt disappointed at the gender, but no one dared to talk about it out loud.

Bina and Lucretius would never allow anyone to talk negatively about their two princesses.

Lucretius kissed his wife’s sweat-covered face.

“You did well.”

This time, Lucretius was happier because he was able to stay by Bina’s side the whole time. The midwife bathed the newborn and brought her to Lucretius. The emperor’s hands trembled slightly as he held his new daughter in his arms.

Bina thought secretly.

‘He is much better now. He trembled so much when he was holding baby Beatrice that I used to be worried he might drop her.’

This time, he was a pro. Lucretius’ eyes were filled with tears as he looked down at the baby. After a few minutes, he handed her to his lovely wife.

“Here she is…”