Epilogue 4.3

“Just like Komodus, any man who becomes my husband will act like they own this kingdom. I don’t want to go through that again.”

Liselotte had been trying her best for months to convince Beatrice otherwise. Once she left the castle, there would be no one who could care for Beatrice with love. It bothered Liselotte deeply that Beatrice would be left alone in this lonely castle.

“Not everyone is like that. Look at how our father met our mother.”

The sisters grew up under the most loving couple. Lucretius and Bina were best friends, best political partners, and completely in love with each other.

This meant that the sisters had a very high expectation for their own partners and marriages. Growing up under such a perfect couple was actually making the sisters’ lives harder.

Beatrice knew from the beginning that finding the perfect partner was not an everyday occurrence. She knew it wouldn’t be easy. This was why Beatrice gave up early.

In addition, her situation was different than her father’s.

“An emperor getting an empress and a female ruler getting a husband are two very different things. Besides… Finding a partner like our mother is not an easy task.”

“I know, but…”

Liselotte sighed unhappily. Unlike her older sister, Liselotte decided to actively search for true love early on.

Liselotte continued, “It’s not impossible, yet you aren’t even trying. In fact, you are doing your best to avoid any kind of possibility. If you continue to be like this, you might end up missing out on your one true love.”

“…”

“It is still possible to find the one who you can have feelings for and also have a similar political view. Our parents found each other and… I did as well, right?”

Beatrice watched Liselotte playing with her engagement ring.

“I… guess.”

Liselotte used a gentler tone.

“Remember what mother always told us?”

“…”

“It is important to do our royal duties and protect our rights, but what is more important is to live a happy life as a person, not as royalty.”

“I know.”

“If you are sure that you are happy with your current life, then I won’t bring this subject up again. But if you are giving up on your happiness because of political reasons… Then I think you are making a mistake.”

Beatrice couldn’t answer immediately, which was strange. Normally, she could say confidently that this was her choice and she was happy with her life. However, today, she couldn’t say it.

Liselotte caught this and added quietly, “All I want is for you to be open to possibilities.”

***

After her younger sister left, Beatrice contemplated about their conversation.

After she got rid of Komodus, she decided she would never marry anyone again.

No, she decided this even as she chose a man like Komodus. She chose to become a competent female ruler rather than a happily married woman.

Beatrice always believed living as the absolute ruler of this kingdom was her biggest happiness, but now, she felt unsure.

Why?

Her sister used to be so much like her, but she ended up going through a whirlwind romance with a man of minor nobility. Despite everyone’s objections, she decided to marry this man. Perhaps this was why Beatrice started to doubt her life choices.