Thirty Two

Why did I have to insist on hearing about it? I blamed myself for all this as I laid down on my bed in the dark.

I murmured.

“[Why… I’m so stupid.]”

I was alone in the room. I kept telling myself it was okay. In the next room were at least two maids who would come if I called. I wasn’t alone.

… I couldn’t ask them here because I was scared of ghosts. That would be too embarrassing. I promised myself to become a regal and generous monarch. Begging them to sleep in the same room because I feared the darkness was a bad idea.

I was okay. I had to be okay. I’m o…

“Gyaaa!”

I thought I saw something white out of the corner of my eye. I raised myself up with a shout. When I looked closely, I realized it was just a white curtain dancing against the blowing wind.

I felt a sudden relief followed by mortification. I buried my head underneath the blanket and murmured.

“[I’m such an idiot…]”

Trembling in the dark… This was embarrassing.

I had always been a wimp. I had never been able to watch a horror movie. Why did I insist on hearing the ghost story?

I was so stupid. I wished out loud.

“[I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I wish he was here.]”

Just then!

“What a strange language!”

Something appeared in front of me.

I screamed immediately before checking to see who or what it was.

“Gyaaaaaa!!!!”

Slam!

My scream was deafening. The maids and servants stormed.

“Your Highness!”

“What’s wrong! Your Highness!”

“Are you okay?!”

The guards couldn’t enter the female quarters, especially the emperor’s wife’s bedroom. However, I could hear them outside my window ready to help if necessary.

“…”

“…”

This was too embarrassing. When the maids came in, what they found were me screaming and the emperor in his night clothes. The room became silent. I wanted to just disappear.

However, it was his fault! He was the one who sneaked into my room without a warning! Of course, I would be frightened! This wasn’t my fault!

The emperor waved his hand for everyone to leave. I hid my face in embarrassment. The maids and the servants tried to hide their smile as they left the room politely.

They must have told the guards outside about what happened. After a few minutes, it became very quiet outside.

I felt like I would die from humiliation. I prayed that the emperor would leave the room and let me be.

However, he didn’t leave. I had my hands covering my face, so I couldn’t see, but I felt his weight on the bed as he sat down near me.

The emperor didn’t like me hiding my face. He forced my red face to be revealed and laughed at me.

“Hahaha!”

“Don’t laugh!”

“Your ugly face looks like it’s on fire!”