Short Stories 4.1

Their conversation was pleasant as they smiled and chatted smoothly.

However, they both knew things were not right.

The duchess brought up a sensitive subject again.

“By the way, your highness, did you have time to consider my… heartfelt advice?”

Bina didn’t hesitate one bit. She smiled brightly and replied, “Actually, that is the reason why I asked you to come, Duchess. I’m glad you brought up the subject.”

Bina sounded perfectly kind, making the duchess hopeful.

She asked expectantly, “Then… What are you planning to do?”

“His highness told me he has no interest in taking any more wives or concubines.”

“… Your highness, as I said before, this is YOUR responsibility as the empress, not his highness’.”

Bina was firm though.

“I may be the empress, but I am also the emperor’s wife. I have no choice but to respect his wishes.”

Bina looked like a proper obedient wife, but her true intention was very different.

‘I’m a greedy woman, so I will never share what is mine with another woman.’

Lucretius swore that he would never have anyone else, and Bina agreed to marry him because she believed him. Only Lucretius and Bina knew the truth, and their relationship was built on total trust. They didn’t plan on including anyone, not even Yulia.

Besides, Yulia herself didn’t want to be included.

‘I wonder if the duchess really got the idea from me when I tried to make Luc dance with Yulia at the ball.’

Yulia came to Bina the very next day after the duchess told her of her plan.

When Bina blamed herself, Yulia shook her head and answered, “No, it’s not your fault, your highness. Even if you didn’t try to have me dance with the emperor, my aunt would have tried the same.”

Yulia looked bitter and disappointed, which made sense. Yulia looked up to Duchess Lonensia like her own mother, and now the duchess was trying to use her.

Bina said to Norma, “And most of all, Yulia doesn’t want it.”

The duchess frowned awkwardly. “That’s… because she is still so young and naïve. She doesn’t know what she’s talking about.”

“Pardon?”

“Marriage and creating one’s own family are the biggest happiness a woman can achieve. On top of that, it is her duty to stay close to your highness and his highness so she can serve both of you.”

“What…?”

Bina was about to get angry at the duchess’ nonsense, but Norma continued strong.

“That child is too young to know what is good for her. Your highness should have reprimanded her and led her in the right direction.”

Norma was good. She used the sound logic of needing Yulia so Bina could control the future harem. She made it sound like she was being selfless and helpful and made Bina looked like a selfish immature girl.

Bina already expected Norma to say something like this, but she didn’t expect her to make Yulia sound so unreasonable.

Bina took a deep breath and smiled again.

“I, of course, know you are giving me this advice out of kindness and loyalty.”

The duchess looked satisfied. “Your highness is indeed a very smart young lady.”