Epilogue 2.2

“Of course not. I’m not worried at all. If you do something like that, I will make you regret it.”

“Then what is bothering you? Just tell me.”

After a short silence, Bina murmured, “You were joking because you really want to know?”

“Yup! I guess I can never fool you.”

Lucretius chuckled and after a brief hesitation, Bina finally said to him, “Well, of course, I can’t help but be worried… This is my first baby and my family aren’t here…”

“…”

Bina was about to continue when she suddenly noticed Lucretius stopped moving as if he was petrified.

She turned to Lucretius and warned him, “If you say you’re sorry about my family not being here, I will get angry again!”

“… I know.”

Bina remembered getting very angry at him after returning from Bilenae. They were talking about families, and at the time, Lucretius apologized to her for keeping her in this world. Bina became genuinely angry at him.

Her reasoning was simple. Bina didn’t feel the need to have his sympathy. It didn’t make sense for Lucretius to feel sorry or guilty. It was her choice. Lucretius, after hearing her reasons, respected her wishes.

He asked, “So, what is it that is worrying you so much?”

“Hmm…”

When Bina continued to hesitate, Lucretius whispered softly, “You need to share your worries with me. Your only family in this world is me, right? Of course, we will have another member very soon.”

Bina smiled lightly. “It’s nothing important. It’s just…”

“Just?”

Bina patted her grown belly.

“I’m just worried if I will be able to have this baby safely.”

“…”

“Even if the childbirth goes smoothly, will I be able to raise the baby well?”

When Lucretius remained quiet, Bina smiled awkwardly.

“It’s a silly worry, right? That’s why I didn’t want to tell you.”

Lucretius shook his head. “What do you mean silly? Of course not! Anything involving you and our baby can never be silly.”

Bina smiled silently. It was a textbook answer, but it still made her happy to hear it. Lucretius always listened to her and respected her feelings. Talking to him always made her feel better.

She continued, “In my homeland, you can find out a lot about the baby before childbirth with tests.”

Lucretius looked confused. “How can you test a baby before it’s born?”

“Umm… It’s hard to explain, but there are ways. You can draw blood to test the baby’s health. There is also a thing called [ultrasound] that uses a special light to see the silhouette of the baby inside the womb.”

“A special light that can show you the unborn baby? Sounds like magic from old stories.”

It wasn’t exactly magic, but it probably sounded like it to people in this world. Bina didn’t bother to contradict him and instead continued, “It’s also frustrating to not know if it’s a boy or a girl.”

Lucretius’ eyes widened. “You can find out about the baby’s gender?”

“Yes. I heard doctors can tell you when you reach the fifth or sixth month.”