Short Stories 9.5

Bina opened her eyes slowly and the man she loved filled her view. Shiny golden hair and beautiful green eyes…

He looked concerned.

Lucretius was too handsome. He was also so sweet and gentle.

Only to her. Only for her.

Lucretius was the perfect husband.

After taking Regia’s medication and with the hot compress on her, Bina started to feel much better. Now that her pain was lessening, her mood was back to almost normal.

Lucretius had pushed back his work and meetings till noon so he could spend the morning with Bina. He even fed her the soup the maids had brought. Bina felt embarrassed.

“I’m not really sick or anything, so this isn’t necessary.”

Lucretius wouldn’t stop. “No, you ARE sick. Stay put and let your husband take care of you, your highness. All you have to do is rest. It is my pleasure to see you comfortable.”

Bina couldn’t refuse anymore. She opened her mouth as Lucretius fed her another spoonful of the warm soup.

As the food and Lucretius’ devotion warmed her heart, Bina felt even more determined.

‘I… I want to have this man’s baby.’

***

A month later.

Bina had learned her lesson from her first failed attempt. For the next try, she was going to be better prepared.

‘This time, I will make it happen for sure…!’

After dinner, she played with her daughter for a while before she returned to her room after she complained of feeling dizzy.

When Lucretius heard this, he came to her in a hurry. “Bina!”

He looked very worried. Samantha and Agnes greeted him politely.

The emperor asked, “I heard the empress is unwell?”

When he asked accusingly, the maids bowed apologetically.

“She suddenly felt dizzy, so her highness is resting in her bedroom.”

“Did you get the doctor?”

“The empress said she didn’t need her, but we called for her and Lady Regia will be here very soon.”

“Good.”

Lucretius quickly walked to the bed and opened the curtain quietly. When he saw her face, he felt a bit relieved because she didn’t look pale.

He sat down beside her and whispered, “Bina.”

Suddenly, her eyes opened. Then she smiled.

Lucretius’ eyes widened. Smiling widely, Bina didn’t look sick at all. She looked like a picture of health as her eyes sparkled.

“Bina?”

She sat up and grabbed Lucretius. By the way she acted, Bina was definitely not sick.

Suddenly, Lucretius realized the truth. When he looked around, all the maids were gone! They said Regia was arriving soon, but there was no sign of her.

When the empress was ill, the maids and the servants stayed close around her to take care of her every need. The entire wing became tense if the empress wasn’t feeling well, but currently, there was no one in the room other than the emperor and the empress.

Lucretius turned back to Bina, who looked perfectly healthy. She stuck her tongue out.

Lucretius murmured, “You…!”