One Hundred Twenty Eight

It was late in the night when the silence filled everywhere.

Lucretius was holding me in his arms. When his breathing grew deep and even, I snuck out carefully and got dressed.

I looked down at him for a while. This was the man who had been by my side for the past six months.

A man who surprised me, angered me, scared me, and made me feel betrayed.

A man who also made me happy, shy, and special.

And… he was the man I loved.

I left an envelope on the bed near him and grabbed my clothes from Earth.

These were the only things left from my home. They were precious to me, and I always thought that if I ever returned home, I would take them with me.

I didn’t mean to leave them here when I left for Cransia. I didn’t know I was leaving Aeal for good. If I did, I would have taken them.

I was worried that the Aeal family got rid of them. Thus, when I saw them safe today, I felt relieved.

I took them in my arms and left the room quietly.

***

Of course, he was uneasy.

Even though she gave him her body, he knew Bina was not his completely. She was not like any woman from this world. He couldn’t own her soul just by holding her.

That was why she was so precious and lovely to him.

However, it also made things so much more devastating for him, like a curse.

The recent injury must have been harder on his body than he expected. After the long journey, he tried his best not to fall asleep but failed.

When he suddenly woke up, he realized he was alone on the bed. He sat up quickly and shouted.

“Bina!”

He noticed the envelope on the bed next to him. He grabbed it and took out its content.

It wasn’t a goodbye letter from Bina like he feared or expected.

It was a letter from the priestess Izvita to Bina.

Information on others like Bina who came from another world.

The gate that opens on the nights of the full moon.

A woman who disappeared into the gate a long time ago.

Lucretius imagined the woman with black hair leaving this world.

Just like Bina with her black hair.

He couldn’t help but scream.

“Bina!”

***

“Bina…”

He called out her name.

“Bina!”

He cried out her name over and over again.

How long ago did Bina leave the room? How long will the ‘gate’ remain open?

Different thoughts haunted him as he roamed the rough forest.

He looked up at the sky and glared at the cursed full moon. He couldn’t tell how many hours he had been searching for her.

Suddenly, Lucretius remembered the story in the priestess’ letter.

A black-haired woman disappearing into the gate and a man who yearned for her for his entire life until he disappeared into the same forest.