Ninety Two

I sounded crazy even to myself.

After a short silence, the priestess answered awkwardly, “A different… world?”

Because her eyes were covered, I couldn’t really tell how she felt about my comment. However, I knew she found it strange.

This wasn’t going as well as I hoped.

I wanted to cover my face in embarrassment but couldn’t. I had to pretend I meant what I said. I tried to continue calmly.

Beside me, Lucretius took a shaky breath. He was laughing at me!

Bastard!

I would get him later, but right now, I had to do this.

“Yes. I heard you can hear the god’s voice.”

“Well…”

The priestess laughed mysteriously and touched her lips.

Her reaction to this conversation was veiled. I couldn’t tell at all what she was thinking.

The only thing I could do was to continue, “Has the god ever told you about an existence of a different world?”

“…”

She gave me a blank smile. She thought for a few seconds before replying to me.

“I am only an unworthy messenger, and, therefore, do not know everything… But based on what I am hearing right now, it sounds like your highness is certain of an existence of a different world… Am I correct?”

“…”

Was she really blind? Perhaps, she had the “sight” of some kind?

I tried to figure it out but gave up quickly. It didn’t matter.

I got back to the topic at hand.

“Yes, I believe in it.”

Lucretius looked at me in surprise. He obviously didn’t think I would be this straightforward.

I had no choice. If I wanted to find out the answer, I had to be frank.

“Actually, what I meant to say is, I know it. I know it exists.”

There was no going back. This was it.

I added firmly, “I know it because I myself came from a different world.”

***

An uncomfortable silence fell.

The priestess continued to stare at me blankly. At least, I thought she was looking at me.

I took a deep breath. Now I had to wait. The ball was in her court.

She just looked at me quietly.

“…”

“…”

The silence began to feel unpleasant.

My brain was spinning. I guessed the priestess was thinking hard as well.

After a while, I couldn’t take it anymore. When I was just about to say something, Lucretius opened his mouth.

“She is telling the truth. I give you my word.”

His big hand covered my own as if to protect me. I could feel my face turning red.

This wasn’t the time to be romantic, you idiot!

I wanted to scream at him, but I obviously couldn’t.

Just then, the priestess finally replied, “A different world… And your highness came from it… I don’t know if that can be true.”